• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lowest powered / quietest 22 round

I don't believe that.
The velocity should be increasing as long as the pressure behind the bullet in the barrel is greater than the atmospheric pressure in the air in front of the muzzle that day.
At least until that pressure differential is so small, so insignificant, that the friction of the bullet sliding through the barrel actually overcomes the acceleration caused by the in-vs-out pressure difference.
Most bullets aren't that tight of a fit in the bore, after they've already gone through several inches of rifled bore and are now swaged-down to exact bore dimensions.

I have some of these, definitely the quietest ever, Don't even know if they are still available.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/963472190/DYNAMIT-NOBEL-22-CB-CAPS.htm
I7CAZt_ymOM_6BphZUGwC9Kxn8KNmkwtkdvdUKgCJayQ2lWXoifkGp3yeM2ywsNzFMaPF_U=s169

url

Among reasonably available ammo, Colibri is the quietes

I think what may happen for a standard-velocity .22 LR at around the 12 inch point in the bore is that ALL THE GUNPOWDER gets used up.

(That's not the point that the "chamber pressure" would peak, though. That already happened, when the bullet was still right next to the chamber and had hardly moved an inch. Chamber pressure peaks in milliseconds, but the bullet's velocity is low at that point-- it's just beginning to overcome inertia and get serious acceleration going.)

FYI I am pretty sure there are colibri for pistols and super colibri for rifles. A bit more power so the bullet makes it all the way out of the barrel.

I've been shooting CCI Quiets out of a 77/22 w mask can. Giggle quiet.

Anyone seen the CCI quiet semi auto "blue" ammo around Atl? Looks like powder coated bullets for use with cans.

Read a study once that .22 start to lose velocity and pressure drops at around 10-12 inches

Ballistics By The Inch did tests where they cut down a rifle-length test barrel (mounted in a pistol frame & receiver for NFA compliance) one inch at a time, with several different loads, and shot them through a chronograph after each cut.

Their experiment shows that while there is very little gain in velocity after about 10" or 12", there is still higher velocity in the longer barrels, and the numbers for the uncut 18" barrel are always higher than all the readings for the shorter versions of that same barrel during the stages of cut-down.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

P.S. I'd like to see them do this with a 24" or 26" target rifle barrel. If that means they have to "build" and "register" the rifle as an SBR, so be it. Do it in the name of science!

680716EF-ADAF-4C93-9628-24B28F016CD5.jpeg
010697EE-6495-45C1-9A08-771249BFE017.jpeg

I just did a backyard test between super Colibri,
CCI brand CB long,
and CCI's Quiet.

They were all quiet enough for backyard plinking when you fire them from a rifle barrel. I imagine they may be louder from a handgun barrel.
If the absolute minimum noise is important, then the super colibri's win.
They were pellet gun quiet.

They were also the weakest, penetrating least into the stack of dry newspapers I had behind my target.

But, the Colibri ammo was so short (OAL of the cartridge) that it would not feed from my semi-auto gun's magazine up into the chamber.

The CB longs fed fine when I manually cycled the action,
and so did CCI's Quiet.

View attachment 2552730 View attachment 2552731

But, the Colibri ammo was so short (OAL of the cartridge) that it would not feed from my semi-auto gun's magazine up into the chamber.

One issue I ran into shooting the Super Colibri ammo was I am pretty sure that it formed a carbon ring in the chamber. When I went to shoot standard 22lr rounds in my daughters Savage Rascal, I couldn't get the bolt to close on a standard 22lr round in the chamber.

After a bit of cleaning it wasn't a problem but be aware that after shooting a bunch of Super Colibri, clean your chamber before you go back to standard ammo.

it is quiet though.

Back
Top Bottom