• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LWRC Piston problems

Great question and yes. The bcg is so far back the release is irrelevant when I press it.

How is that possible? Can you please post a picture from the ejection port side?

Was your bolt carrier group assembled correctly?

Did you have the buffer installed?

How many rounds were fired successfully?

Collapse the stock and mortar it (read: bump the stock somewhat firmly on the floor). I'm in for it's a popped primer and I've unseized one up by doing what I described.

I had a rifle receiver extention get a little loose once and the buffer retaining pin and spring let go and locked the BCG back. Is that a possibility?

I can't separate the upper and lower

Have you punched out both pins? It will be hard but a punch should do it. If you cant get it apart after both pins are out then that sounds really bad...

If you cant do that then you should put it in a vice and remove the castle nut and buffer tube, that will get it apart.

Spray some lube in the ejection port, place end of barrel on 2x4, collapse the stock fully, and hit the buffer tube with a dead blow. Short sharp blows.
If that doesn't free it I take the castle nut off

It's possible you have a bolt override failure.

It's rare, but it does happen, and fits.the symptoms.

A cartridge could be jammed over the bolt carrier, jamming it back. Direct Impingement rifles can get this failure, but it's relatively easy to clear because the cartridge can't fit completely over the bolt carrier. (Unless you're using steel cased ammo, then it's harder due to case strength).

On short stroke piston rifles it can put the rifle completely out of action, since the casing can fit completely over the bolt carrier. Then there's no easy way to remove the casing.

If this is the case you'll probably have to take the receiver extension tube off to relieve the spring tension and move the bolt carrier back and forth until you get the cartridge out. Or, as others have suggested, you may have to take out both pins.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Just snapped a picture. Pushed pivot and breakdown pin pulled up.

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom