Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
I have Lyman case gauges for .40 S&W as well as .308 and like them both.

However, the one in .223 that I received was out-of-spec.
While all of my Case Bodies gauge correctly within specification at .376, the Rim (which can be as large as .378) does not gauge; and only the rim appears to be too large on many of the once-fired cases that I gauged. I got the calipers out and set the jaws for .378. All of the The Lyman Gauge rejects had rims that were less than or just under .378. Those whose Rim passed had a diameter of .376 or a little less.

My conclusion is that the product was not manufactured correctly. I confirmed this with an Internet search ... Seems like lots of folks are having the same problem, and as others had stated, I called Lyman and was promptly told by their "technical expert" that he had no history of any .223 gauge ever failing to meet specification ... OR having been returned !? Not wanting to "Burst His Bubble" or even curse him a little, I immediately returned the gauge to Midway for a full refund. Midway noted that their system of customer feedback echoed my experience with the Lyman .223 Gauge and made note for a follow-up with Lyman (I will not hold my breath!). Needless to say that I will be very careful about any future purchase of a Lyman product!

HAPPY ENDING!

Midway exchanged the Lyman for a Wilson (I had to pay the difference plus S/H both ways).
The Wilson Gauge works perfectly. It has a slight "ream" cut at the entrance (~ the depth of the case rim) to accomodate
the up-to-two-thousanths size difference between the case rim and the case body (See Also the Specifications for .223 Remington
as published in all loading manuals).

Quoting others: "Buying from sources that are known and will gladly accept returns is always your best bet!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom