• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M&P Compact vs Ruger MKIII/IV

inkandammo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
170   0
Reaction score
Looking to buy a pistol host for my ARC22al. I've narrowed it down to the M&P Compact and either a Ruger MKIII or IV. If you have any experience with either I'd appreciate your input. Originally I thought Ruger, but @Nonliberal advised that they had more pop than the Smiths. Almost ready to buy and only want to do so once. Thanks for any advice.

Mods, if this needs to be moved to the NFA section, feel free to do so.

Dont rule out the GSG 1911. Mine runs great with the ARC22 - and 14 round mags.

IMG_1531.JPG

I recently made made this decision and went with the m&p compact. I'm still waiting on my can to be approved , but I went with it due the reason you mentioned. Shorter barrel and the ability to run bulk pack Ammo and still keep things quiet.
I would eventually like to get a MKIV, but I didn't want to be stuck with shooting standard velocity Ammo through rifles AND pistols to keep them quiet.

The Ruger Mark series are great hosts and guns all around, but they also have the most "pop" just due to design. It will meter a few DB's higher than the Smith. If getting it as quiet as possible is your goal, go with the Smith out of those two options. All 22 handguns will be giggle quiet though. Don't over-think it. If one gun stands out to you, get it. If you really want something quiet, get a bolt action 22 rifle. You need one of those anyways. :)

The Ruger Mark series are great hosts and guns all around, but they also have the most "pop" just due to design. It will meter a few DB's higher than the Smith. If getting it as quiet as possible is your goal, go with the Smith out of those two options. All 22 handguns will be giggle quiet though. Don't over-think it. If one gun stands out to you, get it. If you really want something quiet, get a bolt action 22 rifle. You need one of those anyways. :)
Thanks, that makes my decision easier because I've always been a fan of the Rugers. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom