• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M&P Shield 2.0 .380

I got to play with one of these the other day at the range. The slide is super easy and buttery smooth, triggers good. Would be great for older adults with arthritis and smaller women. Ergonomics felt good, but it’s a little big for a 380 in my opinion. Very little recoil. I was impressed. It’s prolly not for me, but I can see it’s use.

They are not meant to be pocket guns for well-seasoned gun owners who don't flinch and who surely won't limp-wrist the gun and induce a malfunction.

For a recoil-shy shooter who won't be wearing the pistol on his or her body (i.e. home or vehicle defense role)...

...or a person who WILL carry it out in public, but using a proper IWB or OWB holster at his or her hip, this Shield .380 EZ rocks.

I plan on picking one up to replace the Browning 1911-380 compact I have. I carry mine as a backup, but the controls tend to rust on the Browning & I've never had an M&P rust before.

This gun is brilliant. One of the most underserved firearms markets out there is older Americans. This gun is perfectly set up for people who have lost the hand-strength needed to rack a small 9mm slide or pull a 12 lb revolver trigger.

Ruger did something similar with their LC-380 a few years back, but they didn't go as far as Smith did, even adding little HK-style 'wings' to help rack the slide.

The grip safety looks a little funky to people used to the 1911, but from what I understand it's a lot easier to engage cleanly than one hinged up top. That's why they put 'memory bumps' on most 1911s these days.

I'll bet they sell a ton of these. I can think of at least three folks who struggle with compact 9s or 380s that I'll probably recommend them to.

Update: I learned if you use a finger and opposing thumb it’s much easier to load the magazine.
Would have been nice if it had a thumb pad like their 22 magazines.

Shoots well all else considered.

I may be interested in getting one. I'm over 75 years old and sometimes have problems with hand strength. I shot one a few weeks ago and liked it.
It was a very EZ gun to load, rack and shoot with very little felt recoil.
Just waiting for my checkbook to grow a little.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Same as 9mm, or 45, or 38 or 357.... Basically anything in a handgun above 25 ACP has the same lethality, between 17-20%

Back
Top Bottom