• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 30 carbine gunsmith or help needed

The bolt and oprod is meant to be able to be removed by a GI in the field with no tools.

You can remove the barrel band with a cartridge rim, but a screwdriver does make it easier.

Slide the barrel band forward after depressing the retainer.

The receiver assembly just lifts out.

NO FORCE needed

I agree with Jeep78.

Keep in mind that this is an old firearm with possibly a hard service life and parts may be nearly worn out. You might consider doing some nice things for the old girl. I’m thinking principally of a new/higher power recoil spring to slow everything down. That might help some.

I am wondering of somehow the slide wasn't in the track under the barrel, allowing enough deflection of the charging handle outward, that it allowed the bolt to get out of the can track?

I would do the basic disassembly and send a few more pictures.

If the bolt managed to "escape" the charging handle, then either something is NOT in place (could be wear, or incorrect reassembly) or something is broken internally. Again, pictures of the complete slide and internals of the rifle (meaning things under the stock) is required.

Ok so the above pictures is what I have I haven’t taken rifle apart yet to see what may be wrong. The bolt was lodged in the receiver. When I cycled the bolt by hand it fell out. Now with the charging handle locked back when you tilt the rifle down and up you here something moving. Sliding back and forth. Is there a pin or clip that should be holding the handle and bolt together?

This makes me wonder if the slide block under the barrel has separated from the slide/charging handle? If that happened, I would pretty much expect to hear what you are describing. If the charging handle is NOT moving while you hear that sliding item, there are only three parts that "slide". The bolt, the slide/charging handle (normally all one assembly) and the gas tappet or piston.

The piston makes a small noise or what I would refer to as a "tink". The slide has a big weight at the end of the charging handle, under the barrel. If that slides back and forth, it is a bigger "clunk".

This makes me wonder if the slide block under the barrel has separated from the slide/charging handle? If that happened, I would pretty much expect to hear what you are describing. If the charging handle is NOT moving while you hear that sliding item, there are only three parts that "slide". The bolt, the slide/charging handle (normally all one assembly) and the gas tappet or piston.

The piston makes a small noise or what I would refer to as a "tink". The slide has a big weight at the end of the charging handle, under the barrel. If that slides back and forth, it is a bigger "clunk".

I hope to have time to take it apart tonight. But it is more of a tink sound. Very light, like a BB rolling around. This is the first one of these that i have ever owned or fired. So kinda way out of my area. I am used to lever actions and bolt action rifles. The charging handle has to be in the locked open position for you to hear the rattle. If it is closed i do not hear anything.

Then it is more than likely the piston. That will have pretty much nothing to do with your issue. Would still be good to verify the charging handle/slide are still all one piece. I have never seen one come apart, but there are always first for everything.

No sir. Got home from work and helped the kids with their internet homework. Lol. How the times have changed. I’m home today and plan on getting to it.

Ok so not sure if this is it. But appears to be. Removed stock and as I was rolling over this fell out. Assuming piston? Doing a good cleaning now and will install soon. Do I tighten this shoulder down or leave it loose? Any pointers on assembly would be great. Thanks

606C7B80-7031-47CA-AF12-D762407628D0.jpeg
4948E3AC-7902-4CCF-A25F-88838F870F9D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom