• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 carbine issues

Shalashaska523

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
i have a 1944 m1 carbine made by Saginaw that I'm having a issue with and hopefully you guys can help out. When I fire the gun the boot doesn't go far enough back to pick up the next round. I've recorded the action in slow mo to see what's happening. 95% of the time it only goes half way back enough to eject the use casing but I've had it stove pipe a few times also. I've used monarch ammo and some old soft point ammo I got with the carbine. It does it to all my mags (2 15 1 30) it came with a usgi recoil spring which I replaced with a Wolff. No change so I got a better condition ushi and still no change. Cleaned out the gas port and still no change. Any ideas?

IMG_7996.PNG
IMG_7995.PNG
IMG_7994.PNG
No bends or defects from what I can tell. I can operate the action no problem without any alarming resistance. This first 2 pics were on the same day the Wolff extra power spring was installed and thats the furthest back the bolt would go. The last one the usgi one I just got was installed and it just got back enough to eject but not always as sometimes the front of the casing would catch and jam

I would tear it completely down to every part, clean it like crazy, look for any abnormal wear spots, and make sure not only the gas port is clean but the port going into the barrel, I have heard of people that would clean and then over oil the barrel then let it sit for decades and it would gum up the port on any gas tap rifle design. My little m1 from 1942 has always been 100% reliable and dang accurate, love that little rifle.

When you field strip the gun, does the piston move freely in the gas block?

<---- not a carbine expert but sounds like the gun is under-gassed, not getting enough energy to cycle the action.

The without any alarming resistance line is your problem

I have two and they both cycle as easy as a 22. Any resistance beyond just overcoming the spring is wrong.

When you field strip the gun, does the piston move freely in the gas block?

<---- not a carbine expert but sounds like the gun is under-gassed, not getting enough energy to cycle the action.

+1. I've had to remove a number of gas pistons and clean them to get them to move freely. General rule of thumb is that if you can't get the gas piston to move by mouth then it needs attention.

Back
Top Bottom