• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 Garand question

It’s back together with a new (to me) walnut CMP stock to replace the hackberry it came with.

Now to see how she will group!

A10EF756-6364-4555-AD22-9BF89AE1EA46.jpeg

The shine is a fresh coat of Tung Oil I will wipe off in 24hrs!

Took some barrel number shots while she was nekkid. No idea what they mean...yet.

9417E357-A073-44A7-9D0B-943A8760C42F.jpeg

C9E73209-2C16-4E44-BBEE-47A97813631E.jpeg

3-SA 9 44
3-SA = Springfield Barrel
9 44: the 9 = 9th month (September) 44 = Year (1944) Edit I can not tell if that is a 9 or a 8 so could be a 8 then of course it would be August.
The number on top of the barrel is the drawing number or Lot Number and it is Correct for the Year.
The stamped M (magnetic particle testing) also looks to be the Firing Proof next to it.

3-SA 9 44
9 44: the 9 = 9th month (September) 44 = Year (1944) Edit I can not tell if that is a 9 or a 8 so could be a 8 then of course it would be August.
The number on top of the barrel is the drawing number or Lot Number and it is Correct for the Year.
The stamped M (magnetic particle testing) also looks to be the Firing Proof next to it.

you da' man

It’s back together with a new (to me) walnut CMP stock to replace the hackberry it came with.

Now to see how she will group!

View attachment 1586476

The shine is a fresh coat of Tung Oil I will wipe off in 24hrs!

Took some barrel number shots while she was nekkid. No idea what they mean...yet.

View attachment 1586478
View attachment 1586479

Hows that stock fit? I want to get one for mine since the wood is mismatched. Dark stock, lighter top handguard, birch forearm that I stained to match.

3-SA 9 44

Wow! Thank you. Is that from the books suggested?

Hows that stock fit? I want to get one for mine since the wood is mismatched. Dark stock, lighter top handguard, birch forearm that I stained to match.

Front hand guard is slightly looser that my other Garands but not what I would call excessively loose. Fits like a glove everywhere else!

Had a few more handling marks than advertised so I’m wondering if I should have pony’ed up few more dollars for a brand new one. Then again, now I don’t have to worry about safe dings or range mishaps.

Back
Top Bottom