Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

Mac 11/9 with some tricks

Thread in 'Class III & NFA Discussion' started by patracy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. patracy

patracy ODT Junkie!

41   0

Rating
    100%
    So I decided to go a different route after Lage dropped the bomb that their new rifle upper was going to cost $3k or more. I picked up a new in box SABRE upper. Before I even fired it, I've already modded some of the internals. I'm also thinking about pulling it apart again to open up the magwell for pmags. And milling out anything I can to reduce weight. There's a law tactical side folder and AR stock installed too. But I have some other things I am testing with the setup. Maybe I will get to run it tomorrow.

Also thinking about a barrel change to 300blk....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Apollo and sovietak474u like this.
  2. sovietak474u

sovietak474u The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

344   0

Rating
    100%
    Sweet . I’m on the list for the lage . I already have the .22 conversion. It will be a good 8 months before I see my m11 tho :sad:

3. patracy

patracy ODT Junkie!

41   0

Rating
    100%
    I was all in for making this Mac a po-boy-sixteen. Richard makes some great stuff. But when the price jumped from $1500-1800 to $3K or more, I decided to tinker with my own thing. The Lage upper will certainly be better. The SABRE (even with what I have planned) will never hold a candle to it. But I'm still in that same "target" price for what I currently have. Once I see if Richard gets his internal recoil system approved (my fingers are crossed), I'm going to see if there's any market for a "SABRE MKII" upgrade.

4. patracy

patracy ODT Junkie!

41   0

Rating
    100%
    Well the internal trickery I did works flawlessly. Runs like a top. Recoil isn't bad either. I'm going to pull it apart this week again and put it on a diet. I'm going to remove as much metal as I can to lighten up the 8lbs or so that upper weighs! Also I think I want to install a VFG. Or a bipod/VFG. This thing certainly belongs more on a bench to be shot currently.

5. switchride

switchride ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

77   0

Rating
    100%
    If you had a sub 300 spot on the lage list and don't need it anymore I'll trade you places in line ;)

6. patracy

patracy ODT Junkie!

41   0

Rating
    100%
    I'm number 315.

7. z.chance

z.chance ODT Junkie!

69   0

Rating
    100%
  8. patracy

patracy ODT Junkie!

41   0

Rating
    100%
    600-ish. Making some more improvements today actually. Opened up the magwell to allow for pmags to easily be inserted/removed. (It was way too tight) Also I removed some internal metal that wasn't really needed. Just trying to lighten it up some. I kinda have another idea for the upper now. There's a internal block to retain the barrel in the receiver. But you have to take the entire upper apart to get the barrel out. I'm thinking about duplicating the block and opening up the side of the upper to make a quick change setup for barrels/piston tube. You could switch between 5.56 and .300blk that way. I'm also thinking about changing the charging handle. Currently it's got a billet reciprocating handle that is welded onto the BCG piston block. Kinda stuck with the upper to be reciprocating since there's a big opening for it on the side. (I guess I could try to mill a insert to make a non-reciprocating though, more work but wouldn't be as dangerous as what it has if I made it non-reciprocating.) I was thinking about just drilling and tapping the block for a knurled round CH. One that simply threads into it. Then opening up the bottom lower section of the upper to allow the entire BCG to slide out the rear (after removing the CH) so you don't have to break the entire upper apart to service the bolt.

There's a lot of room for improvement on this upper. But the weight is always going to be an issue. I reached out to proof barrels to see if they rate their CF barrels for FA.

Oh and I'm going to machine a small block/shim to take up some of the slack the upper has from the front take down pin. I can't stand shake/rattle from a upper/lower setup.

9. z.chance

z.chance ODT Junkie!

69   0

Rating
    100%
    600 is a good rpm.

Its odd that it weighs so much. A lighter barrel would help im sure. I dont know if the carbon would hold up to FA abuse. Faxon makes some very light pencil barrels.
    Is it just a heavy bolt assembly or mostly the housing/chassis thing?
    Is that a LAW folder on the buffer tube? Those things are close to pound by themselves.

10. patracy

patracy ODT Junkie!

41   0

Rating
    100%
    The upper is overbuilt with material. Heavy profile barrel too. Have to also consider all of it sits out in front of the mac lower so it only makes matters worse. Talked with proof, their barrels can't handle it. It's only a 10" barrel. But I guess they went with a HB for mag dumps since that's what this thing is for. I guess it is what it is. The bolt and bolt carrier are a AR15 bolt that has been heavily modified. (Then I modded it some more!) And yes, that's a law folder. Part of the other trick I've got working. I'll talk more about that part once I get some feedback elsewhere.