• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Magnum small pistol primers

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
What would be the negative affects of using magnum small pistol primers in non-magnum loads. Is their a way to adjust powder to accept magnum primers.

Due to my stupidity I have ended up with alot of these primers, and load no magnums !

Yes reduce you powder charges. Depending on what pistol cartridges you are loading depends whether I would even use them. I don't think I would use them anything like a 32acp or 380acp if that helps. Most revolvers you should not have a problem

Then I would use starting loads and work my way up, keeping an eye on recoil and the size of the primer pocket for flattening or enlarging. When I say flattening if you see it you will know what I am talking about, and it is a warning to back down the powder.

Last edited:
Loadn's advice holds true when making most any type of component substitution. This is especially well heeded advice if you're working near the top end of any load. Many times there may be little noticeable difference. We all need to bear in mind that one time that it will!

Back
Top Bottom