• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mailing Firearms within the State

Me239

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I’m wondering what the process is of sending a rifle or shotgun through the mail is. I hear that it’s illegal for the post office to ask what’s inside a package, but I also see this on USPS’s website:
Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:

1. The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
  2. Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
  3. No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
  4. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
  5. Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery
So my question is, what’s the legal and complete way to send a rifle or shotgun to a resident in your state via USPS?

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Pack it securely in a quality box with no indication as to the contents. Take it to the post office and send it with tracking and signature required.

I'm curious about the fact the post office is a federal building. I would assume firearms would be prohibited. I don't agree just crossed my mind.

The main problem is, just like this thread. You ask the question, and get a half dozen different answers. Everybody is afraid of Big Brother.

Not a lot of answers, and the regs were posted:

"A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable.'

Require signature and get insurance USPS
They left a mini uzi outside of a closed FFL once when I shipped luckily landlord saw and took it with him then back the next day

Back
Top Bottom