• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MAJOR UPDATE: Phineas C. Zoid - Pistol Whack . . . . . (my first custom 1911 build)

Sorry...between the disconnect/sear install, and the thumb and grip safety install. If you keep the MSH slid down a little until you have the grip safety installed, it sure helps...

View attachment 1407431

I picked her up on the way home tonight . . .

View attachment 1407432

giphy (5).gif

You need me to come witness?

I may need you to bring your slide rail lapping compound and guides - or sell me a set.

I am borrowing a sear jig and stones from a guy on another forum to tweak those. Everything fits so far except the frame is a little oversized. I found that JEM machined everything to very exact tolerances, but after the parts and pieces were media blasted, there was enough material raised up on the surface that I needed to lightly sand or wear down for smooth operation.

The slide fit to the frame is a different story . . . .

I may need you to bring your slide rail lapping compound and guides - or sell me a set.

I am borrowing a sear jig and stones from a guy on another forum to tweak those. Everything fits so far except the frame is a little oversized. I found that JEM machined everything to very exact tolerances, but after the parts and pieces were media blasted, there was enough material raised up on the surface that I needed to lightly sand or wear down for smooth operation.

The slide fit to the frame is a different story . . . .

Some Dykem or a black sharpie helps show the interference. You want it to fit, but you can't put the metal back once removed. Go slow and check often.

Geezer has you going in the right direction and in the right order. I always start the frame work with the trigger, slowly removing metal from the top of the trigger till its a tight fit, then lap with metal polish. then the rest of the fire control group, and finally the grip safety. Just remember to fit the cheap part to the expensive part, and you will be ok!!

I must be the only guy that fits the slide to the frame first, then the barrel to the frame and slide, then the back of the slide to the frame, then the grip safety to the frame, then the main spring housing, trigger to the trigger track groove. All the small parts, final grip safety adjustment, and sights are last for me.

Sounds like you are having fun—-

I must be the only guy that fits the slide to the frame first, then the barrel to the frame and slide, then the back of the slide to the frame, then the grip safety to the frame, then the main spring housing, trigger to the trigger track groove. All the small parts, final grip safety adjustment, and sights are last for me.

Sounds like you are having fun—-

No, your right, I was talking about just the work to the frame. Its always more fun to fit the slide to the frame first, so at least it kinda looks like a pistol, makes me feel better! Then the barrel, then the other stuff mentioned.....

Okay, I thought I would give y'all a sneak peek of my vision for this build.

While I work out the slide to frame fit, I thought I would throw together the lower parts and pieces to give you an idea of how I see this turning out.

Kind of ignore those grips for now. They were the only pair of magwell grips I had laying around at work. They are a pair of my early finishing work. I'll get this into the pair I had made just for this build and get more photos tomorrow.

I always enjoy your thoughts and critiques . . . .

peek-01.jpg

peek-02.jpg

peek-03.jpg

Look forward to following your progress!

Sub'd, Not Mike! Thanks again for the cloths today!

:pop2: Interested to see what you do with this build.

Welcome to another addiction. Good luck with the build. I have the Jerry Kuhnhausen books on the 1911. There is a lot of material in them that is area specific, but the index could narrow it down if there are any issues that come up.

Come on Mike, :) post the pictures....

I'll catch up when not with guests for dinner.

Serial number rock's:rockon:. Exactly what I would expect from you. Sub'd for progress on the one of a kind Zoid collector's piece.

Looking forward to following along. Only hear great things about the JEM frames. Seems like thats the way all the custom builders are going. Will be cool to get your impressions.

You need me to come witness?

Back
Top Bottom