• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MAJOR UPDATE: Phineas C. Zoid - Pistol Whack . . . . . (my first custom 1911 build)

I must be the only guy that fits the slide to the frame first, then the barrel to the frame and slide, then the back of the slide to the frame, then the grip safety to the frame, then the main spring housing, trigger to the trigger track groove. All the small parts, final grip safety adjustment, and sights are last for me.

Sounds like you are having fun—-

No, your right, I was talking about just the work to the frame. Its always more fun to fit the slide to the frame first, so at least it kinda looks like a pistol, makes me feel better! Then the barrel, then the other stuff mentioned.....
@geezer

So, I kind of expected a little bit of a challenge fitting a slide that is 90 years old to a brand new 2017 frame, but I figured after 90 years of use, that slide would be . . . . well, this photo tells it all.

upload_2017-12-1_17-20-43.png

However trying to fit the slide to the frame, I found it is tighter than a Les Baer. It won't even make it past the ejector.

I've got some measurements I can share when I get a free moment, but really . . . . I thought my "problem" would have been a slide that rattled around a little, not one I couldn't get all the way on.

Suggestions?

@jjrock

@geezer

So, I kind of expected a little bit of a challenge fitting a slide that is 90 years old to a brand new 2017 frame, but I figured after 90 years of use, that slide would be . . . . well, this photo tells it all.

However trying to fit the slide to the frame, I found it is tighter than a Les Baer. It won't even make it past the ejector.

I've got some measurements I can share when I get a free moment, but really . . . . I thought my "problem" would have been a slide that rattled around a little, not one I couldn't get all the way on.

Suggestions?

It is normal to have to fit the ejector to the slide.

Remember, work on the cheap, easy to replace part when fitting 2 parts to work together.

It is normal to have to fit the ejector to the slide.

Remember, work on the cheap, easy to replace part when fitting 2 parts to work together.

Understood, but this slide it too tight way before it gets to the ejector.

Take a look at the photos below. That light color streak on the bottom of the slide, left side is from the dust cover pressing against the slide. Notice the right side of the slide doesn't have that streak.

There are similar rub marks inside the slide as well.

DSCN0794.JPG

DSCN0799.JPG

@geezer @jjrock

Understood, but this slide it too tight way before it gets to the ejector.

Take a look at the photos below. That light color streak on the bottom of the slide, left side is from the dust cover pressing against the slide. Notice the right side of the slide doesn't have that streak.

There are similar rub marks inside the slide as well.

View attachment 1409734

View attachment 1409735

@geezer @jjrock

More fitting is definitely called for. Again, normal for the 1911

The rails on that JEM frame are probably way oversize so it can be used with any slide, this is a good thing!
You have to find a way to measure the inside width of the groove in the slide the frame rails ride in ( I use an adjustable parallel) and mill/ file or stone the frame rails to fit the slide, then usually you can stone the bottom of the slide to fit the groves in the frame. I hope I explained that right....

The rails on that JEM frame are probably way oversize so it can be used with any slide, this is a good thing!
You have to find a way to measure the inside width of the groove in the slide the frame rails ride in ( I use an adjustable parallel) and mill/ file or stone the frame rails to fit the slide, then usually you can stone the bottom of the slide to fit the groves in the frame. I hope I explained that right....
Dude, I've got just the information needed for a more critical mind to analyze . . .

I took these measurements this afternoon. I wish to God I had known these BEFORE I contacted JEM, but then I wouldn't be learning all this great stuff . . . .

BTW, the "education" received in this manner isn't all it's cracked up to be . . . .

Onto the data . . . .

WWMJD? (What would MarkJ Do?)

Zoid's Slide-Frame Specs.JPG

Back
Top Bottom