• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Makarov P-64 good for carry?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Is a Makarov P-64 Polish built 9 x 18 caliber OK for carry? Worth it to have a different caliber that is basically bigger than a .380 but still way smaller than a 9mm?

For the same price I can buy a new SCCY 9mm with the factory warranty and much lighter weight.

Just thinking out loud and need some carry in the gym bag gun advice.

Double Tap in 9mm Buds guns was
Under $ 200.00 total at transfer
Made in USA HAVE CARRIED MINE IN FRONT POCKET A YEAR STILL LOOKS NEW

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
C
ad6a44e26e2d5a9b4d84272b18b29fbc.jpg

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I may be in the minority, but I owned an SCCY and I found the grip to be overly large for a small 9. I believe that the Makarov pistols have a much more ergonomic feel. Besides, 9X18 will put a hole in a bad guy as quick as a 9X19. Many people carry .380 (9mm short) and trust their lives with it, 9X18 would give me more confidence than .380 any day. There are many Makarov copies out there though, so be careful with the quality of what you are looking at to buy.

JM2C.

the sccys arnt bad but still not mak quality. maks can make great carry guns, good ergonomics, accurate, and very thin. i personally love them. As for 9mm mak, its left plenty of dead bad guys in its history, my biggest concern here would be what kind of quality defensive ammo you could find but i honestly wouldnt be surprised if you could find almost any hornady loading in 9mm mak, if you can get anything with their xtp round i wouldnt have any worrys about the round.

I would say it's not a good carry gun.
1. It's heavy. When you are carrying on around all day long, you will feel it a lot more. Polymer frames are a lot lighter.
2. Rust and corrosion. Polymer doesn't rust or get discolored like carbon steel. It's hot and people get sweaty.
3. Limited choice of loads. There are a ton of great defensive loads in 9mm that you will never see in 9 mal.
4. Warranty. On the off chance something breaks, you can't send that P64 back to the factory.
5. Design. Blowback design with 9mm Mak makes recoil harsh. Guns like the LC9 and M&P are softer shooting and allow for more accurate follow up shots.

Back
Top Bottom