• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Makarov P-64 good for carry?

Haven't held or fired the P64 but all the reviews suggest they're heavy for what they are. Aside from that my only gripe is I have this quirk about auto pistols that only hold 6 in the mag.
The SCCY could be hit or miss. The CPX1 had a manual safety that would throw itself into safe when most people fired them due to it's position on the frame. The CPX2 doesn't have it and is most likely the one you were looking at. But I think I'd go with the Kel Tec P11 before the SCCY. You can use Smith mags with it.

Hey spistols spistols I've not handled a P64 but have used and carried other maks and like them. If you go with the P64 check some of the videos about doing a wolff spring swap which is supposed to make it much "friendlier". As to the Sccy, I would echo to go with a P11. The Sccy cloned the p11. The p11 is butt ugly but they work and are small and light and in a decent caliber.

The Radom P64 is a fine choice. It's a good looking gun that has proven itself reliable. As far as warranty, my P64 was built in 1969...still runs great. Hollow points are readily available as are +P rounds. But I can't argue against modern polymer 9mms either...I also have an LC9s pro that I am completely comfortable with...So, in essence, I am of NO help to you...LOL

The P64 is a very accurate gun in 9x18 Makarov. It handles defensive rounds well - no FTF, FTE, etc.
Very ergonomic.
Upgrade with 18-20lb trigger spring and the PolishIron grip and it's very viable for carry.
It is a little heavy, but that helps with recoil. Sights are not that great and it is only a 6-round mag, but it is more accurate than any other Makarov I have shot - all true Makarovs, CZ82 and P83.
My experience - your mileage may vary.

I'd like to add my two cents worth.... as an old man, with a huge collection of firearms, retired gunsmith, who can afford any gun I desire....... look at what the guns made of, forged machined metal. as such it will last your life time and more. I have to ask you: if you went to a nice up scale steakhouse. they bring you that big two inch think steak, grilled to perfection and hand you a cheap throw away plastic knife fork and paper napkin.... would you go back? to me that plastic knife and fork is no different than a plastic firearm. I have colt woodsman's that are now some 90 years old. they have never had to be sent back to the maker nor even had a spring replaced. and they aren't safe queens either. hundreds of thousands of rounds thru some and still going. marlins and Winchesters all steel and walnut, served three generations and still being used.
if you go the mak, I'd suggest you take it to a GOOD gunsmith and have him go thru it and do a bit of polishing.... not dermal tool work but proper polishing of all inside surfaces with stones.... he can adjust the trigger to whatever pull you want, make sure he doesn't forget to polish the mag follower and inside of mag....... you'll be amazed at the difference all this work will make.

Back
Top Bottom