• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Making a mag tube extension???

It is cheaper to just get a surplus LEO Rem 870 with the extension already installed. Plus LOTS of aftermarket parts available for thr 870.

With the Higgins, you are putting a $500 saddle on a $20 horse.
How do you figure it's cheaper? I get that the accessory market is heavily geared towards the 870 with the Mossberg 500 a close second. But an LEO grade 870 will be at least $300.00. If it doesn't already have an extended tube then that's another $60.00 plus shipping. I know because I already ordered a tube extension for another gun. Not that there's anything wrong with the 870 but I will probably never own one. I already have a Mossberg 500 which has much better safety and slide release controls. At the right price I'd probably buy one of the Chinese 870 knockoffs.

Of course I would never try to go mall ninja tactical with this Higgins that's old enough to not have serial numbers and only shoots 2.75 inch shells. But I like having more than 5 rounds in the tube. My Smith 1000P that I cut down only held 4 rounds originally. So of course that was unacceptable. Now it holds 6 and I'm good with that. I only have $100.00 in this Higgins. So even if I paid the $75.00 for the KAK long tube I would still come out cheaper than even a used 870.

Better yet I have a deal going now for a ratty old Stevens model 67. I dig those ugly bastards cause they remind me of the 70s.

But 7+1 is more, and therefore better.
so how many hundreds of dollars are you willing to spend to have 2 additional rounds in the tube?

Qubic bucks can fix anything. I don't have that kind of money.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, If you can't find identical inside diameter / outside diameter material, you'll be paying a machinist with a lathe. BTW any competent machinist will have the ability to connect the two.

You might want to get an estimate of the number of hours and cost per hour because you can quickly exceed the weapons value.

Your machinist will have to be a FFL if he is going to take the entire weapon into his shop. If you give him just the tube, he won't be violating the law.

so how many hundreds of dollars are you willing to spend to have 2 additional rounds in the tube?

Qubic bucks can fix anything. I don't have that kind of money.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, If you can't find identical inside diameter / outside diameter material, you'll be paying a machinist with a lathe. BTW any competent machinist will have the ability to connect the two.

You might want to get an estimate of the number of hours and cost per hour because you can quickly exceed the weapons value.

Your machinist will have to be a FFL if he is going to take the entire weapon into his shop. If you give him just the tube, he won't be violating the law.
Well if I thought it would be that involved and expensive I wouldn't dive off into it. As I mentioned earlier I can buy the 7 round Flight King tube from Numrich for under $30.00 with shipping. But then I need to find someone to thread it. That's probably the best way to go. But down here it's nearly impossible to find a shop to do that kind of work.

How do you figure it's cheaper? I get that the accessory market is heavily geared towards the 870 with the Mossberg 500 a close second. But an LEO grade 870 will be at least $300.00. If it doesn't already have an extended tube then that's another $60.00 plus shipping. I know because I already ordered a tube extension for another gun. Not that there's anything wrong with the 870 but I will probably never own one. I already have a Mossberg 500 which has much better safety and slide release controls. At the right price I'd probably buy one of the Chinese 870 knockoffs.

Of course I would never try to go mall ninja tactical with this Higgins that's old enough to not have serial numbers and only shoots 2.75 inch shells. But I like having more than 5 rounds in the tube. My Smith 1000P that I cut down only held 4 rounds originally. So of course that was unacceptable. Now it holds 6 and I'm good with that. I only have $100.00 in this Higgins. So even if I paid the $75.00 for the KAK long tube I would still come out cheaper than even a used 870.

Better yet I have a deal going now for a ratty old Stevens model 67. I dig those ugly bastards cause they remind me of the 70s.

Well used 870s WITH extended tubes regularly pop up for $200 (used @ gunshops and online, not double retail like on ODT). Sell your odball Higgins and get a well built Remmy.

Well used 870s WITH extended tubes regularly pop up for $200 (used @ gunshops and online, not double retail like on ODT). Sell your odball Higgins and get a well built Remmy.
Oh so we got a Remington snob over here.:becky: But seriously I understand your theory. I just have a weak spot for these old pump guns especially the store branded ones. It's really two entirely different trains of thought. See you're imagining this as being my number one go-to bet my life on pump gun. But I already have an 8 round 20" 500A for that purpose. This is just a project.

Back
Top Bottom