• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Making a Will.

I've been drafting wills and trusts for 20+ years. $300 - $500 is very reasonable for the level of service and skill involved. If you paid $1,000 it might be higher than market price, but the lawyer wouldn't be charging too much. It's one of those few services that can't be fixed after the fact because, well . . . you know why.

I've come to realize that there are few "simple" wills any more. Most clients now have blended families, stepchildren, children out of wedlock, children by former spouses, adopted children who weren't formally adopted, people to disinherit, children with special medical needs, etc. Or, if they have the traditional long-term one-and-only marriage, their kids have all these issues and more.

Make sure you tell your attorney about these kinds of things up front so he or she won't have to do all the work, then throw it away and start over; or worse, do it once but completely wrong because he or she didn't know about the unusual family situation.

Depending on your situation, it may be more beneficial to create an inter vivos trust and avoid probate. I'm not a lawyer and I'm not giving legal advice, but it's something you may want to look into as opposed to drafting a will.
O.C.G.A. §§ 53-4-1 through 75 cover Wills & Estates in Georgia. It's good background for when you seek the advice of an attorney.
inter vivos trust is something I may explore with an attorney as some people have mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom