• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Making snap caps?

dunkel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
Was thinking about this...I have a lot of brass and some hot glue. Thought that would work pretty well. Has anyone done something similar? How'd it go?

I read somewhere about using an empty case, bullet just crimped in, and a piece of eraser glued in the primer pocket. Personally I'd do something to make damn sure the home made snap cap didn't get mixed up with live ammo or some way to make sure it is obviously not live ammo. Can never be to safe.

drill out the primer pocket, set your bullet, fill with locktite and allow the locktite to come flush with the base of the case. An alternative is to fill empty case with tissue paper, set bullet, then use locktite. Regardless of the method, the locktite (I use the blue) makes it relatively easy to determine snap caps form live ammo. It's also great for ball and dummy drills.

In reviving this thread, a variation of the method I have used for shotgun shell snapcaps should work for metallic shells although I haven't tried it yet. Basically, I used a threaded nylon screw (a little larger than the primer pocket) purchased at the hardware store and screwed into the primer pocket from inside the shell until it was even with the brass. As the nylon wears down you simply screw it in a little farther and trim it down. For metallic cartridges, you may need to drill the primer pocket and trim the screw head if you come in from inside the case. A variation would be to enter the screw from the outside into the case head (drill the primer pocket if necessary ) , glue if needed , and simply drill it out when replacing . The nylon is tough but has enough give to make a good, inert "primer". Worth the try for less than a dollar!

i made a few a while back for my cz-52... apparently dry fire = breaky breaky firing pin.

shot a round, drilled out the primer... filled hot glue in to primer hole, filled case with hot glue and molded a bullet shape as the hot glue cooled.

cylced manually with no hangups... obvious they were not live rounds and therefore you couldnt mix em up. i will show you next to we hang out... if you dont bail... again

I load 30 rds of inert ammo for every 600 rds of live ammo and dump it all in the same ammo can. screw getting it mixed up. getting it mixed up makes my training sessions fun. My inert ammo is simply ammo with no powder or primer. and it's a whole lot cheaper than "snap caps." OK>>>>>HERE!!! the purists jump in with damage to the weapon comments.......I'm hard on guns.. but I train like I want to fight. screw the firing pin. I'll wear out a three dollar piece of equipement all day long. everybody else can buy the economy parachute.

Maybe I mis-understood. If you want a snap cap for practicing trigger manipulation while watching tv, then buy a set of snap caps....don't go cheap on a 7.95 investment.

I was drinking while responding so take a grain of salt before you take offense.

i have done the eraser in the primer hole and it works fine. I load a bullet to the correct OAL but then I drill a decent sized hole in the side of the case (all the way thru it) so it's easy to spot the "snap caps". file them so they don't get hung up on anything after you drill them but the work fine, feel like real ammo but with the big holes it's easy to spot. if you really want to be anal about it, get some fingernail polish in a bright color and put some on the bullet. don't put it on the case it'll mess up the chambering, but the bullet is fine.

When I purchased my CZ 9mm, the pistol came with some fake plastic bullets and replaceable rubber primers. I've also seen them at sportsman's warehouse near the reloading supplies.

I decided to make some dummy rounds for my AR. I put some once fired cases through my reloader and resized the cases. I then trimmed the case necks and pressed in a bullet to size and weight them to spec. Instead of a primer you can used hot glue, silicon or any other liquid adhesive that hardens to a rubber-type hardness. When you use hot glue or something similar, make sure that some of the hot glue liquid is shot on through the primer hole so it can act as an anchor of sorts.

MAKE SURE YOU DON"T PUT POWDER IN THE CASE!!!

When you are done, take a red sharpie and completely color the bullet and the primer area of the case so you don't get the dummy rounds mixed up with your live rounds. When you use a red sharpie on a copper jacketed bullet it looks like it has a red clear coat or is anodized.

Load up your magazine with them and practice function checks, dry firing, etc.

I used them while teaching my wife how to load, chamber and fire my AR. I practice with them from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom