• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Making sure I’m reading this right,18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

Couldn't you do a trust? Or is that illegal over state lines?

Now THAT is interesting question and thinking outside the box.
So you're suggesting that a gun trust could be used for non-NFA firearms,
ordinary unrestricted sporting guns, to let these guns get transferred interstate between a resident of one state and a resident of another state without using an FFL simply because both of these people are trustees on the trust (and one of them would also be the "grantor" or "settler" - the creator of the trust and the person who put the property into it.)

For NFA items, the answer is well settled. Those kind of exotic guns are subject to a different set of rules and not everything that applies to ordinary firearms applies to them, and they have their own special registration requirement when they are moved across state lines, such as being sent or hand-delivered from one trustee to another.

But for non-NFA ordinary guns, with multiple trustees in multiple states,
that's different. How would the federal law about interstate transfers between non-licensed private individuals apply?
See Title 18 of U.S. Code, section 922(a) (3) (unlawful to receive or bring back a firearm obtained from another state)
and (a)(5) (unlawful to transfer a firearm to another person who is not a resident of your same state). That's something to think about.

Maybe you could create a new thread just on this topic.

I used to live there long before they 'allowed' any form of concealed carry. I think I still have a FOID cared floating around although you'd never recognize me from the picture. :)

We still travel up there occasionally. Their laws have changed somewhat. I'm legal on my Georgia CWP as long as I never leave the car, (say like at a gas station to even pump gas.) If I were to spend the night in a motel I'm required by law to exit, proceed immediately to the trunk, unholster, unload and secure the firearm and ammo separately, then carry both to my room. Those laws were specifically designed to make it difficult and unwieldily for folks from out of state to have a loaded firearm readily accessible.

sounds like another state to avoid at all cost.

Why even ask? Just have her put said firearms at your house and give them back when she gets home. As long as you aren't out committing crimes with them and they were legal firearms to begin with I don't see how it ever be questioned much less ever be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom