• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Making the decision to end the life of your pet and friend.

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
A hard thing to discuss as I believe people that have common pets like dogs, cats and birds are more attached to them than any humans around them. We most often have raised our pet since it was weeks old. Ever since it was 6 weeks to 8 weeks old your pet has greeted you at the door the same way no matter if you were gone 5 minutes or 5 days or everyday you come home from work. If you raised your voice and yelled at your pet and they went to lay in the corner sad at disappointing you, a few minutes later it was all forgotten and you are best buddies again. They show understanding, kindness and love back to us. At the end of their life if they have not gone peacefully in their sleep then having to make the decision regarding what is best for your friend is not easy but I think it must be done. Your friend cannot speak to tell you how much pain, anxiety or suffering they are in or to give you some sort of comfort in making that decision by giving you a nod or a paw and letting you know "I'll see you again". This is a very personal decision that varies from owner to owner and pet to pet.
I knew one person with a dog that was 17yrs, blind, deaf, had no teeth, had severe arthritis requiring it to be carried up and down stairs and they still refused to make that decision. I don't know where the line should be drawn between what is right for the owner and what is right for the pet. Hopefully it's a decision those involved have given very careful thought to and can live with. Yesterday I had to make that decision for my 9 1/2 yr old English Bulldog. Before her it was our 14yr old Pitbul mix and a cat of 15yrs that both grew up with all 3 of our daughters since the time our daughters were brought home as babies. All of them we raised and cared for since they were 8 or 9 weeks old. It was never easy as they were my friends.

Bride and I have had to make this Heart Wrenching decision with our last Lab. We talked with the Vet and learned what Bo's medical problems were. Called my son back from College to help in the decision. Bo was a faithful member of our family..It's hard to make a humane decision to say goodby. We tend to be selfish about what the loss will mean to us, but then again what is more important? It really sucks to be faced with that decision..Gods help with your decision!

There is a point when you are simply being selfish and doing the exact OPPOSITE for your friend that you proclaim. Everybody has to figure that out for themselves. If a dog (for example) can't be a dog, go outside, sniff around, control his bodily functions, bark at a squirrel, whatever, and have some quality of life, I'm going to do what he can't do for himself and get him the relief he deserves. We've had to do it multiple times and it sucks every single time! :mad:
Sorry about your buddy. :( Nobody said the right thing was easy. You gave him a great life. He was grateful no doubt.

It hurts bad. Couple years ago we put down out Rottie who we had since she was 8 weeks old and she was I think 14 or so. What hurts even moreso is that she was a great protector. I would often test her and start acting like I was hitting my wife and she would immediately attack me and I fed her! If I acted threatening any in way to her she would put herself in between us. Acts like that make it even harder.

We just adopted 2 more dogs, another Rottie and a mutt but they are great. We discussed a couple days ago how hard its going to be when we lose these two. Its extremely painful thing to endure. They aren't pets or even friends, they are family. I would imagine its akin to losing a child to a lot of people.

Just went through this two weeks ago eith my 17 year old lab.

Wife and I talked about it several months ago as we could see the deteration eas increasing. We agreed ad long as he was happy and comfortable, work with him. A couple weeks ago he struggled to get up and cried all night every time he moved. It was time .

Every time I come in the house, I still look for him.

Back
Top Bottom