• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Man, I love to reload!

Plumminfool Plumminfool , what brass? Time is better spent just loading. Invest in good brass, alpha or lapua, and load em up. Can go down way too many rabbit holes on load voodoo. Case volume is one of em. Also, very difficult to get accurate and repeatable readings.

I tried to get deep into sorting by weight and h2o capacity...you can lose a lot of hours for like NO gain if you are starting with good brass. Hell, I have gotten really good .5moa groups using same headstamp nato brass in 308. prepped to hell and sorted by weight to ~1gr. With lapua MOST of that is done for you anyway. just got a hell of a deal on some nato headstamps and did a full prep minus anneal.

Been reloading since 73 and I still learn something new all the time. Nothing better than making your own ammo. Bullet casting is the same too. Best to know how and stock up on components while we can. Things are going to crap in a handbasket fast.
My dad instilled all his knowledge in me at a young age. I have been at it since early 80’s . Casting, loading...i love it all . Have not tried powder coating yet. Tons of info on Cast Boolits web site. I am damned lucky to have what i have from DAD ! :)

41mag. i started powder coating last year and i have found it works better that the old school lube way. i like it so much i have cleaned all the lube out of my lube sizer. powder coating is easy and you can make some good bullets that shoot good. cleaner too.

I want to start reloading.I need some help with what to buy.I will load only 308 cases and 150 or 165 grain bullets for deer hunting.4064 powder and I think large rifle primers.I say those items from reading some reloading articles.What would get me started.What single stage press?
RCBS rockchucker.

I tried to get deep into sorting by weight and h2o capacity...you can lose a lot of hours for like NO gain if you are starting with good brass. Hell, I have gotten really good .5moa groups using same headstamp nato brass in 308. prepped to hell and sorted by weight to ~1gr. With lapua MOST of that is done for you anyway. just got a hell of a deal on some nato headstamps and did a full prep minus anneal.

I had the same experience, I found no reason to continue to go through the extra steps of volume sorting when weight sorting good brass takes care of it. I must admit It sure is fun finding out on your own and seeing it first hand and I’ve never been one to take other people’s word without verification. Maybe I’m just that dawg gone stubborn.

Back
Top Bottom