• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Man on your property

Defense from a forcible felony; A person is justified in using threats or force to the degree they reasonably believe it is necessary to stop another person's imminent use of unlawful force. A person is justified in using deadly force which may harm or kill only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony (unless it is regarding defense of habitation, which has it's own requirements below). You are not justified if you were the aggressor or you are/were/on-the-way-to committing a felony. (The state has pre-empted local cities and counties from further restricting this defense.)

- - - Updated - - -

Am I interrupting this wrong or something?

Yes you are. The REASONABLE part is based in the elements I have already listed. The court does not consider a belief without these elements to be reasonable.

Why would you hide inside? If someone would have done that to me it probably would have ended in a ride in a ambulance without the lights on. When you have entered the yard to cause problems you might as well be in my house. I am not going to feel unsafe at my home and will eliminate the threat. In a parking lot, store or somewhere else I would avoid the problem, but home is another story.

Wow can you not read the whole post? I guess I will avoid going to cumming with anything but a picture book apparently they cant read.

Ok lets play the scenario out then, I go inside to get my gun come back out and he is still approaching, no response he gets to 5 ft mark and I shoot. Obviously I could have felt my life was in danger so why am I taking a ride in cop car? Another scenario is he is leaving I would question him and thats all I could do, there is no threat now. I wouldnt shoot a man in the back. So you think with my first scenario I would got to jail? I am not a Internet Cowboy by the way, I have found in public you can easily avoid confrontations all the time so far and I dont carry most of the time. But my house should be safe place for me, my family and friends. So please take your BS "Internet male bravado" somewhere else. I am just e regular guy that believes in protecting my home.

Which hole post do you mean sir? YOUR post or the OP?

You post seems to assume quite a bit. The OP said the guy walked into his yard, the guy did not respond when he told him to leave so he walked into his house and grabbed his shotgun and the guy left. I see no threat there that allows me to shoot the guy. Apparently you do. All the guy did was walk into the OPs yard and ignore his words.

You add more stuff to it as if that justifies your remark that you probably would shot him. YOU never mentioned all the other stuff in your post to which I responded.

Again I say I will avoid Henry county if people are going to shoot me just for walking into their yard.

I have walked into peoples yards before even ignoring beware of dog signs on at least one occasion when I foufnd myself with a flat tire and a jack but no jack handle/lug wrench. His dogs barked but did not bite and when he asked why I ignored his dogs I simply explained my delimma. He said I was brave for ignoring the sign he had no jack handle but he did have a four way lug wrench and I was able to go on down the road after using a big ole screw driver as a jack handle.

Last edited:
Just take off your clothes and walk out in the yard and say with arms outstretched "you look like you need a hug."

If I am out of the house, then no it's not. Ignorance of the law is not a defense. It is illegal to use deadly force to protect property. And yes, I very much pay attention to the law when the "all knowing government" can through my ass in jail for 15 years for not paying attention to it. LISTEN CAREFULLY; watching Rambo movies IS NOT the way to learn appropriate use of deadly force.

never said watching rambo movies is a good idea.

its not about revenge, getting even, or enacting justice, its about staying alive and safe for me

if im in my house while they are trying to burn it down....thats them trying to hurt me

Good discussion has gone on here. OP did what was right for him at the time. Recommendations I have for him is to carry even at home, and to think about a nice little 100+ lumen light to carry in your pocket. Hitting him in the eyes with the light might have let him know you were prepared, and you could have ID him better.

Good discussion has gone on here. OP did what was right for him at the time. Recommendations I have for him is to carry even at home, and to think about a nice little 100+ lumen light to carry in your pocket. Hitting him in the eyes with the light might have let him know you were prepared, and you could have ID him better.

The light is a very good idea.

I watch allot of discovery ID, Science, etc... There are 1,500 serial killers within the US at any given time. This is what I try to ingrain in my wife and daughter, it doesn't matter if they're smiling and inviting, you can't trust people anymore. Some weirdo coming up towards...aw hell no ! Have you ever seen someone get popped with a 12 ga ? Even bird shot is like being hit by 30 Daisey air rifles pumped powered up to 25-30 pumps at once.

Back
Top Bottom