• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

man up thread

MYCAR47562

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
I decided that maybe i should post up my mistakes with gun handling in the hopes that maybe someone will learn from it.

Well of course looking back on it, i was very stuiped but...

I had to transport my 16 inch ar home from my parents on my bike, so i broke it down put the mag in the lower and shoved it in the bag everything fit so i was happy. I get home pull the upper out and the bolt and charging handle had fallen out so i put them back in i was a little freaked out over that for some reason and just wanting to make sure everything was ok.

So i slap the rear pin in place and when i try to put the front in it is giving me trouble, it was getting within about half an inch of closing and it stop'd well finally i figure out i can push it closed, so i do. I try to pull back the charging handle even more freaked out now that some how the gun was broke.well the handle was really hard to pull back but finally pulled back and went into battery easily hum ok i thought so i decided to drop the hammer and try the bolt again hopping it was a piece of lint..... Bang wnet through 3 walls including an exterior wall and my big outside trash can never found were it stoped but im guessing somewhere in the woods next to my house.

Now the reason the charging handle was tough was the mag was fully loaded at 30 and brand new the gun had never been fired. Me being scared the gun was broke led me to work on it faster than i should have and i bypassed safety when i didn't remove the mag and check the trigger before firing.

Of course the fiancee was sitting on the couch next to me so she hasn't been the nicest about it as if i haven't been beating myself up enough over it.

Hope this helps someone

this happened 2 months ago and i didn't know if i could swallow my pride enough to come on here and say that i messed up, but i relised we learn from each other.., so yea there's my story.

As i stated on the other thread i also had a firearm a/d due to shoddy gunsmithing by the prior owner. we were at the range i handed to my dad to fire, he shoots the first round, went to fire second round and the trigger is froze.... i ask him to set it down on the tray, i pick it up and am about to eject the round when bam it goes off down range..... i eject all rounds and put it up for the day. take it home and find some grinded on sport's on the hammer replace it and the gun has been flawless.

I hope someone can learn something from this.

The ar scared the crap out of me, what really gave me something to think about over time was that directly after it fired i ejected the mag and almost pulled the trigger again. i was dazed and confused from the shot, i had no idea how bad something like that would hurt.

It also made me realize that leaving the hammer cocked isn't that bad lol

Clearing a Para 1911 in my gun room. Muzzle to the floor, 3 aggressive slide racks, pulled trigger........................bang. To this day I still cannot figure why the cartridge didn't clear with 3 slide racks. I always expect a "bang" even when I pull the trigger on an unloaded weapon, that's why if we are going to make mistakes (and we all will), that it's best to have them in the safest environment as possible.

Lesson: VISUALLY inspect chambers upon clearing.

I gut shot a couch once just to watch the stuffing fly.

Was in my bro-in-laws shop office. Was stupidly showing him my Llama .45 ACP(I know, owning a Llama is mistake number 1). I clearly remember saying "An' it's got a half-cock safety" just before pointing it at the couch and ..well call it a DAD(dumb ass discharge). It was 11 or so years ago and my finger NEVER touches a trigger I don't intend, or expect at least, to go BANG. Dumb as I felt, my bro-in-law makes sure I never forget to feel dumb all over again quite often. I'm actually glad he does too. I earned it.

Man I would have had to go find some new shorts! I'm glad nobody got hurt. I have never had an AD but I have come close before. Man that was a sick feeling knowing I almost screwed up.

I have never had an AC because I never chamber a round until I am ready to fire. have owned them 20+ years.

So how has that kept you exempt from having an accidental discharge? A loaded chamber = potential for accidental discharge. The only way to avoid an AD is not to load a chamber period or furthermore don't even handle a weapon. Don't get too confident. Accidents don't only happen in gun rooms or on couches. (2) ODT forum members have already had AD's at the range that resulted in their own fatalities.

Back
Top Bottom