• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

man up thread

Smith 5946. Police trade-in at pawn shop. Took home, cleaned, oiled, full mag in, rack a round then hit the decocker....BANG! Round misses leg by inches, thru leather couch cushion, hits hardwood floor, ricochet to TV cabinet, another ricochet into the wall. I'm trying to explain it was a faulty decocker by Mrs thinks I am now totally inept at handling firearms.
Shop gladly did full refund. I wasn't interested in fixing it, I wasn't going to get back up on that horse. Good news is no one was bleeding. Bad news is I killed the couch, have a hole in my floor and a dent in the entertainment center and now I flinch everytime I use a decocker!

I've never trusted a decocker on a pistol, and won't own one that does.

I had a ND just last sunday.
My friend & I had just gotten back from the shooting range, and I had brought his rifle in his house from the jeep.
It was a CZ in .22 Hornet. I didn't shoot it at the range, but I did want to feel how light the double set trigger was.
The bolt was half open - I closed it then pulled it open to inspect the chamber, then closed it again. I then proceded to open his back door, set the trigger and took aim at some cross ties in his back yard, and squeezed her off. BOOM!
There had been one round left in the detachable magazine, that I didn't see, and I had actually racked a round from the mag after inspecting the chamber.

I felt like a real idiot after that one, but thank God I had enough sense to aim it at something that would do no harm in shooting.

I always say stick to what you are good at.. in smiths case... its started with wheel guns and should have stayed there. Same goes with taurus.

Wont own an auto by either company after the first run of junk sigma and the early pt92's... I am sure they have gotten most of the bugs worked out by now... but after having bad experiences... no thanks.. i stick to sigs

Man! You must REALLY love Ruger autos...LOL!

I had a friend in high school that had an AR15. First one I had ever seen in person. We all drooled over it. We used to go shooting, walking the woods and creeks. One day we had separated by 10-15 yards and I was walking the creek bed. Suddenly I hear BLAM! BLAM! BLAMBLAMBLAM! about the 3rd or 4th BLAM bullets started hitting the water a few yards from me. Bonehead was shooting at a rabbit on the run that was running between us. Oh, He couldn't see me but the fact that he wasn't TRYING to kill me was small comfort. ;)

My son had a AD in his living room while examining his wife's Glock. Poked a hole in the wall and took out a window in his truck. The wife and baby kept sleeping, but he said it took a little while before he could pet the dog or cat again.
Reason I tell this is he is one of the most careful and safety oriented gun handlers I know. Been working with him since he was 9. At the time, he worked for a gun manufacturer and is now a deputy sheriff. Point is, it can, and will, happen to anyone. Take your time. Check and double-check.

Back
Top Bottom