• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin is bringing back the 1894 .357 lever rifle

I certainly hope that Remlin has their problems and issues solved. I have read some reports that they are better, in terms of fit and finish. But other reports still give them a less than glowing review. I don't know, and will not speculate whether Remlin has their act together. I can say that for the money, I would look for a JM stamped Marlin, or take a look at the Henry. But that is just me, and what do I know.

The 45LC I bought this Summer is much, much better than the 38/357 I bought just before they stopped production to retool. That one was really rough, and I had to replace several parts that simply broke in the first few months. I ended up with a decent gun but had to put in a lot of hours cleaning it up and upgrading parts.

However the new production doesn't seem quite up to the old JMs. The wood on the forestock on my LC was a little blocky, not smoothed into the receiver like the old ones. The bluing is nowhere near the same either, but that seems to be true for anything these days.

The new gun has been solid so far, and after opening it up, the internals are definitely a lot cleaner. None of the tool marks I saw in my old 38/357. Can't say anything about the parts yet, with this low a round count, but hopefully they will hold up as well as the old ones.

The 45LC I bought this Summer is much, much better than the 38/357 I bought just before they stopped production to retool. That one was really rough, and I had to replace several parts that simply broke in the first few months. I ended up with a decent gun but had to put in a lot of hours cleaning it up and upgrading parts.

However the new production doesn't seem quite up to the old JMs. The wood on the forestock on my LC was a little blocky, not smoothed into the receiver like the old ones. The bluing is nowhere near the same either, but that seems to be true for anything these days.

The new gun has been solid so far, and after opening it up, the internals are definitely a lot cleaner. None of the tool marks I saw in my old 38/357. Can't say anything about the parts yet, with this low a round count, but hopefully they will hold up as well as the old ones.

Your experiences are matching up to some of the posts I see on another forum. Like I said, since I don't have a Remlin, I can't say whether their rifles are up to par or not. Thanks for the post on your experiences.

I stopped in adventure outdoors today, tried to order the 357. There is no way they can preorder one because Marlin doesn't even have a number to order against. They had the 44 version but that's not what I was after. Now Marlin is in chapter 11, trying to restructure and aquire financing. Who knows if this gun will ever get produced again.

Back
Top Bottom