• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

JWC

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
154   0
Reaction score
As most of you know, I am a Marlin lever action fan. So, basically every Marlin lever action that comes up for sale, I will open the ad. A lot of the times, the seller will mention in his ad if the rifle is a JM stamped model,( a Marlin made before the Remington buy out), but sometimes JM stamped is not mentioned but the year made is mentioned.

This is my question, “What is the last year of the JM stamped Marlins?”.
For several years, I thought that 2009 was the last year, but now, it seems as though I was wrong about 2009 being the last year. I was researching this topic and found this statement, from a supposedly ex-Marlin employee. I don’t know if the guy was a former employee or not. No way for me to verify. Anyway, this is what he posted.

“All rifle assembly stopped in Aug.2010.
Production of barrels and receivers ended in Dec.2010.
All manufacturing stopped in Feb 2011
Plant closed March 31 2011.”

That statement just adds to the confusion for me. Rifle assembly stopped in Aug, 2010, but barrels and receivers were made until Dec 2010. Were the barrels, made until Dec 2010, JM stamped? Could Remington have assembled stamped JM barrels with the Marlin receivers after March, 2011? I would guess, probably not, but I can’t rule it out either.

Does anyone have anymore information on this topic?

Lack of participation in this thread is because NO ONE KNOWS AS MUCH AS YOU BROTHER! (said in THE most loving and respectful tone) :becky: WE know you have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about S&W firearms and lever guns!:hail::hail::hail:

Dang, if I knew as much as you think I know, I would not have had to ask the question! hahahahahahahahahaha!

JWC, I too fancy myself as a lover of Marlin leverguns and have read on Marlin Owners forum "former" employees state the same as you posted. It is my understanding that yes, true Marlin was making barrels and receivers for all their rifles until mid-December, 2010. Other parts were made until February, 2011. All of those parts were inventoried, boxed and shipped to Remington to later be assembled by the dirty hands of their untrained employees who probably had no training in assembling a fine piece of American gun heritage as the Marlin leverguns.

So yes, there are JM stamped barrels and receivers that were simply assembled by Remington. It is further my understanding that those true Marlin parts ran out in many 2011 but like you have no way of verifying this.

Many of the Remington manufactured barrels, receivers, magazine tubes and other parts experienced fit, finish, strength and function failures. It was almost as if Remington was trying to kill the famed Marlin name with shotty quality control and craftsmanship. It wasn't until around 2015 that I personally began seeing Remington made Marlins that were acceptable. Maybe one day they will be the quality pieces that many of us grew up on and expect but I'm not holding my breath, it is afterall a mass produced operation driven by profitability.

I just purchased a 336w around Christmas last year. After hearing how the older models were such better quality, and the itch of just wanting to spend my gift cards, I bought a 2016 model anyway. I'll be honest. It's a dandy gun and I busted a 8 pointer with it on closing day. I have shot about 200 rounds through it, I clean it as soon as I get home from shooting, and I just love it. Great gun as far as I'm concerned. The Hornady Leverrevolution ammo is pretty nasty on a deer. I'm gonna try to get a few more marlins, the price is nice and in the 2016 model I have I don't see any lack of quality. I just want to get sone of the older ones to add to my arsenal

Back
Top Bottom