• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

JWC, I too fancy myself as a lover of Marlin leverguns and have read on Marlin Owners forum "former" employees state the same as you posted. It is my understanding that yes, true Marlin was making barrels and receivers for all their rifles until mid-December, 2010. Other parts were made until February, 2011. All of those parts were inventoried, boxed and shipped to Remington to later be assembled by the dirty hands of their untrained employees who probably had no training in assembling a fine piece of American gun heritage as the Marlin leverguns.

So yes, there are JM stamped barrels and receivers that were simply assembled by Remington. It is further my understanding that those true Marlin parts ran out in many 2011 but like you have no way of verifying this.

Many of the Remington manufactured barrels, receivers, magazine tubes and other parts experienced fit, finish, strength and function failures. It was almost as if Remington was trying to kill the famed Marlin name with shotty quality control and craftsmanship. It wasn't until around 2015 that I personally began seeing Remington made Marlins that were acceptable. Maybe one day they will be the quality pieces that many of us grew up on and expect but I'm not holding my breath, it is afterall a mass produced operation driven by profitability.

Thank you for replying. Based on what you stated, and based on what I have found out from others, it seems that the last year, for the JM stamped Marlins, was probably was 2010, but there could be some, only some, 2011 JM stamped models. So, I believe I am going to go with the 2010 being the last year for "true" JM stamped models.
I know this is not an earth shattering quest on my part to ascertain what the last year of the JM stamped Marlins, but it is something that interests me. Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it. OH, and BTW, I do agree with you on the lack of quality of the early Remlins. I especially liked your wording, "shipped to Remington to later be assembled by the dirty hands of their untrained employees who probably had no training in assembling a fine piece of American gun heritage as the Marlin leverguns".

I just purchased a 336w around Christmas last year. After hearing how the older models were such better quality, and the itch of just wanting to spend my gift cards, I bought a 2016 model anyway. I'll be honest. It's a dandy gun and I busted a 8 pointer with it on closing day. I have shot about 200 rounds through it, I clean it as soon as I get home from shooting, and I just love it. Great gun as far as I'm concerned. The Hornady Leverrevolution ammo is pretty nasty on a deer. I'm gonna try to get a few more marlins, the price is nice and in the 2016 model I have I don't see any lack of quality. I just want to get sone of the older ones to add to my arsenal

Matt, I am glad that you have a rifle that you enjoy, and use. To hear that it does what it is supposed to do, and that you are happy with it, pleases me. Early on in the process of changing over from Marlin to Remington, that was not the case. Canted barrels, poor fitting of the stock, internal parts locking up, was very real and for a time, back in 2011, Remington actually stopped production in order to clean up their Quality Control issues. Remington did not get better overnight, but to my understanding, after late 2014 and all of 2015, 2016, and so far in 2017, the quality issues have pretty much been ironed out. Now, every company that makes guns will have a few "oops" guns. Not all original Marlins were perfect. Of course, you will not convince the die hard original Marlin owners that the new "Remlins" are good rifles. Also, the new Marlins will not be valued as highly as original JM stamped Marlins. Heck, some Marlin guys will not buy a Marlin if it has the cross bolt safety! To each his or her own. Thanks for the reply, and enjoy your Marlin.

I have owned both a 45-70 Stainless JM stamped and a 45-70 Stainless new model..The quality in my opinion is back.

DD, so you are the ONE who owns a new Remlin 45/70! hahahahahahaha! I am kidding. Again, as I mentioned earlier, I do believe the Remlins made after 2014, are good rifles. There seems to be a growing number of owners who will vouch for the newer Marlins. I am glad.
But I do have to mention. When the going was bad at Remington, there were a lot of lever gun guys who started buying Henrys. Aside from being a tube fed rifle, which many Marlin guys detest, it is a very good rifle. I have...well....several, and I can attest to the quality of the fit and finish, and the accuracy of the rifle. Henry's are a very well made rifle. Remington, because of their inability to get their quality control issues under control, lost many, many sales to Henry. Now, Henry appears to be the leader in the lever gun market and a lot of that has to do with their impeccable customer service. Henry has one of the best, if not the best, customer service departments.
DD, enjoy both of those 45/70s, and thanks for the reply.

Matt, I am glad that you have a rifle that you enjoy, and use. To hear that it does what it is supposed to do, and that you are happy with it, pleases me. Early on in the process of changing over from Marlin to Remington, that was not the case. Canted barrels, poor fitting of the stock, internal parts locking up, was very real and for a time, back in 2011, Remington actually stopped production in order to clean up their Quality Control issues. Remington did not get better overnight, but to my understanding, after late 2014 and all of 2015, 2016, and so far in 2017, the quality issues have pretty much been ironed out. Now, every company that makes guns will have a few "oops" guns. Not all original Marlins were perfect. Of course, you will not convince the die hard original Marlin owners that the new "Remlins" are good rifles. Also, the new Marlins will not be valued as highly as original JM stamped Marlins. Heck, some Marlin guys will not buy a Marlin if it has the cross bolt safety! To each his or her own. Thanks for the reply, and enjoy your Marlin.

DD, so you are the ONE who owns a new Remlin 45/70! hahahahahahaha! I am kidding. Again, as I mentioned earlier, I do believe the Remlins made after 2014, are good rifles. There seems to be a growing number of owners who will vouch for the newer Marlins. I am glad.
But I do have to mention. When the going was bad at Remington, there were a lot of lever gun guys who started buying Henrys. Aside from being a tube fed rifle, which many Marlin guys detest, it is a very good rifle. I have...well....several, and I can attest to the quality of the fit and finish, and the accuracy of the rifle. Henry's are a very well made rifle. Remington, because of their inability to get their quality control issues under control, lost many, many sales to Henry. Now, Henry appears to be the leader in the lever gun market and a lot of that has to do with their impeccable customer service. Henry has one of the best, if not the best, customer service departments.
DD, enjoy both of those 45/70s, and thanks for the reply.

Yes sir. I watched a segment on outdoor channel about the History of Marlin Firearms, SUPER COOL presentation about how marlin started off with big bore rifles and the creation of the lever action. There was actually mention of how right after they sold out to Remington they had quality issues, the Q.A manager currently, some kid about my age,(30s) said, " we are now capable of making marlin firearms better and to tighter tolerances than Marlin ever could",

Yes sir. I watched a segment on outdoor channel about the History of Marlin Firearms, SUPER COOL presentation about how marlin started off with big bore rifles and the creation of the lever action. There was actually mention of how right after they sold out to Remington they had quality issues, the Q.A manager currently, some kid about my age,(30s) said, " we are now capable of making marlin firearms better and to tighter tolerances than Marlin ever could",

Matt, I have no doubt that will new innovations and procedures, that Remington is "capable" of making firearms to better and tighter tolerances. The key words to me, in his statement, is "now capable". They certainly were not capable of producing decent lever action guns in the beginning of their run. But, things change, people get motivated, better QC is put into place, and the rifles get better. Hey, the new S&W revolvers have tighter tolerances than the older P&R revolvers..........but I still prefer the older P&R models! lol
Thanks.

I just wish they still made the blued finish on the 336. Mine is a flat almost rough black finish
IMG_0343.PNG

Awesome info here, to be honest I never gave it much thought, I know my 336 from 1976 and is pre safety
Sneakypete, the cross bolt safety on a Marlin, to some, is a worthless addition. The half cocked trigger was as good a safety as you could have, in my opinion, but Marlin still added the cross bolt safety. Some detest the cross bolt safety, some, like me, are not bothered by it. But, two rifles of the same caliber and condition, one with the cross bolt safety and one without, the one without the cross bolt safety is the more desirable rifle and will be valued accordingly. No reason other than preference. I have...ugh...several Marlin rifles with the cross bolt safety and the fit, finish and accuracy is as good as those without the cross bolt safety.

Enjoy that M336 and thanks.

Back
Top Bottom