• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

I just wish they still made the blued finish on the 336. Mine is a flat almost rough black finishView attachment 1144788

Matt, thanks for the picture, good looking deer, and congrats.
While I don't dislike the new, darker, matt finish, it is not what I prefer. Remington made a statement about why they changed the finish. They said it was done to make a more durable finish for hunters, and to be more weather tolerable. OK, sure. My opinion is that the new finish was added to reduce production costs and improve profitability. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Matt, I have no doubt that will new innovations and procedures, that Remington is "capable" of making firearms to better and tighter tolerances. The key words to me, in his statement, is "now capable". They certainly were not capable of producing decent lever action guns in the beginning of their run. But, things change, people get motivated, better QC is put into place, and the rifles get better. Hey, the new S&W revolvers have tighter tolerances than the older P&R revolvers..........but I still prefer the older P&R models! lol
Thanks.
JWC. I am not saying they are better now days than they were. I looked for a good condition older model and just couldn't find one for the right price. My father has a older model with the blued finish. He would sell my mother before he got rid of that one. I hope to inherit it a long time down the road

Reactions: JWC
In post 20, I mentioned the half (rhymes with rock but a c in front) and it was deleted. I did not type anything remotely vulgar. Just wanted those reading to know that.

Just can't add any more than you, I was under the same impression that '09 was the last year for JM stamped. I have been trying to add old Marlins to my collection also

ncrinc12, I look for the Marlin straight stock models. For some reason, they just catch my eye. One of my biggest regrets, is that I sold a straight stock .35rem, from 1957, in order to buy a Marlin, .410, lever action. The .410 has a pistol grip stock and that is the only pistol grip stock Marlin I own. Good luck in finding what you want.

I use the cross bolt safety as my cut-off point, the overall quality went down at that point and never returned, Marlin themselves started to get sloppy building rifles, started cutting back on QC, increased the use of "hardwood" and "laminated plywood" for stocks, putting Walnut on the tail-end of selection, cast parts, etc......that is the reason they went broke and had to sell out. If it's made after 1981 you'll have no competition from me, the quality just never was/has been the same.

Ballplayer, while I don't totally agree with you, I do understand your post. It is a fact, not conjecture, that Marlin did cave in when they installed that stupid cross bolt safety. No question about that in my mind. But, to say all were junk after that, and you didn't, I would say that is not necessarily the fact. However, I do enjoy the pre-1981 rifles and do not care for, but will buy, JM stamped models with the cross bolt safety. Thanks for the post.

I have no clue, of course the newest Marlin I have is from 1976 and have never really looked at anything before 1985 so I've never actually concerned myself with the so called remlins

Back
Top Bottom