• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin Lever action question

I have nothing to add to the question, since all my Marlin history was learned reading this thread, but I do have a Marlin story.

I was given a 336 RC by my father in 1982 for my 10th Christmas. My father bought the gun used in the mid/late 60s (1965 manuf date), but traded it for a Rem 30 06 when deer hunting became legal in GA (I believe mid/late 70s). He tracked down the owner of the Marlin and bought it back to give to me. My Marlin 30-30 has killed many a deer in it's lifetime. All my other guns (those not lost in the tragic boating accident) have a price tag on them, but not my Marlin!!

Interestingly enough, I decided to take the scope off of it that daddy mounted back in the 60s. I melted several drill bits in the process of trying to drill out the screws on the scope mounts. Finally took a cut off wheel to it and got them removed. I don't know what they used in clear fingernail polish from the 60s, but that was some powerful stuff. Now she is back to her original iron sight condition. :)
Great story! But we need a picture! :eyebrows:

One more question...............I have noticed some JM stamped barrels have the "JM" alone stamped on the barrel, while others have the stamped "JM" enclosed on an oval. What, if any, is the significance of this? Sorry to be a bit of a bother with all these questions, but this thread just kind of lends itself to it and I don't want to let the opportunity get away. :lemo:

CQB27, it has taken me too long to reply, but I overlooked your post. I will try and give you an answer, but I may not have all the information on the subject of the JM in the circle.
One would think that Marlin's move, in 1969/1970, from the New Haven plant to the North Haven plant would have brought about a change in the proof stamp. Well, it didn't. I have a 1958 Mountie from the New Haven plant with a circled JM and a 1982 336 Texan from the North Haven plant with a circled JM.
I believe that the introduction of the cross bolt safety, (or hammer block safety if you prefer), in 1983 was the year it changed. However, I do not trust my memory and I have so far been unable to verify the year change with some more competent Marlin guys. I believe I am correct, but do not take my word for it until I can verify the year. That is about the best I can do right now. But I will continue to research your question.

I have nothing to add to the question, since all my Marlin history was learned reading this thread, but I do have a Marlin story.

I was given a 336 RC by my father in 1982 for my 10th Christmas. My father bought the gun used in the mid/late 60s (1965 manuf date), but traded it for a Rem 30 06 when deer hunting became legal in GA (I believe mid/late 70s). He tracked down the owner of the Marlin and bought it back to give to me. My Marlin 30-30 has killed many a deer in it's lifetime. All my other guns (those not lost in the tragic boating accident) have a price tag on them, but not my Marlin!!

Interestingly enough, I decided to take the scope off of it that daddy mounted back in the 60s. I melted several drill bits in the process of trying to drill out the screws on the scope mounts. Finally took a cut off wheel to it and got them removed. I don't know what they used in clear fingernail polish from the 60s, but that was some powerful stuff. Now she is back to her original iron sight condition. :)

Oh yeah. You have to post some pictures of that one!! Great story!

CQB27, it has taken me too long to reply, but I overlooked your post. I will try and give you an answer, but I may not have all the information on the subject of the JM in the circle.
One would think that Marlin's move, in 1969/1970, from the New Haven plant to the North Haven plant would have brought about a change in the proof stamp. Well, it didn't. I have a 1958 Mountie from the New Haven plant with a circled JM and a 1982 336 Texan from the North Haven plant with a circled JM.
I believe that the introduction of the cross bolt safety, (or hammer block safety if you prefer), in 1983 was the year it changed. However, I do not trust my memory and I have so far been unable to verify the year change with some more competent Marlin guys. I believe I am correct, but do not take my word for it until I can verify the year. That is about the best I can do right now. But I will continue to research your question.
I'll check my 1976, I honestly do no if it has a circle or not. Great question

Reactions: JWC
Thank you for the answer sir!

Thank you for the answer sir!

I don't know yet if my answer is correct. Like I said, I do not trust my memory.
If anyone has a 1983 Marlin, with the cross bolt safety, see if it has the circled JM or just JM stamped on the barrel.

Well CQB27, it appears that I was wayyyyy off base on the circled JM. I sent a message to three guys, who opinion I trust, about your question. Two of them did not have an answer. The third one, who I know worked for Marlin, and retired before the buy out, gave me an answer. Here it is;

"Jerry,
There is NO "what year" answer to your question .............
Impact (JM) punches were made in a few different styles by a few different vendors.............
Sometimes, the oval wouldn't show, due to the manner in which the technician aligned the impact gun.............Sometimes only a partial Oval showed and sometimes, there was no Oval on the punch at all.

Tom

So, I was wrong about the cross bolt safety playing a part. Apparently it has everything to do with who make the punches and how that particular punch was used. Tom did say that Marlin changed vendors many times.

Guess that answers that question.

Well CQB27, it appears that I was wayyyyy off base on the circled JM. I sent a message to three guys, who opinion I trust, about your question. Two of them did not have an answer. The third one, who I know worked for Marlin, and retired before the buy out, gave me an answer. Here it is;

"Jerry,
There is NO "what year" answer to your question .............
Impact (JM) punches were made in a few different styles by a few different vendors.............
Sometimes, the oval wouldn't show, due to the manner in which the technician aligned the impact gun.............Sometimes only a partial Oval showed and sometimes, there was no Oval on the punch at all.

Tom

So, I was wrong about the cross bolt safety playing a part. Apparently it has everything to do with who make the punches and how that particular punch was used. Tom did say that Marlin changed vendors many times.

Guess that answers that question.
What an answer! And from a man who actually worked for marlin!
I have actually seen a 336 with the "partial oval" you described. It almost looked like a big letter "C" encompassing half of the "JM" mark.
I really appreciate the effort Sir, truly I do.

Back
Top Bottom