• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MARLIN MODEL 81 DL REPAIR NEEDED

Capnmike

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
100   0
Reaction score
I have a very nice older Marlin M81DL .22 that will not eject spent cartridges. When I traded for it, it was missing the right ejector claw, spacer and spring. The gun was also very dirty. I spent a lot of time cleaning the chamber and bore and even soaked it and the bolt in carb cleaner. Despite new parts and my best efforts, the claw will not grab the cartridge rim and requires a rod or fine tipped screwdriver to work out the cartridge. The gun is too nice to part out.
If you have experience working with this problem send me a pm if you feel like you can repair the operation.
Many thanks.
Capnmike

I have a very nice older Marlin M81DL .22 that will not eject spent cartridges. When I traded for it, it was missing the right ejector claw, spacer and spring. The gun was also very dirty. I spent a lot of time cleaning the chamber and bore and even soaked it and the bolt in carb cleaner. Despite new parts and my best efforts, the claw will not grab the cartridge rim and requires a rod or fine tipped screwdriver to work out the cartridge. The gun is too nice to part out.
If you have experience working with this problem send me a pm if you feel like you can repair the operation.
Many thanks.
Capnmike
Check out www.rimfirecentral.com lots of good info and helpful folks there. Loads of knowledge on all things rimfire.

I also have a very nice 81DL that needs repair.

Mine will eject every time, but won't feed a new cartridge.

I spent a lot of time looking for replacement parts, but for the most part gave up, with an occasional half hearted search now and then...

Pretty sad, as it was exceptionally accurate and a very nice looking rifle...

Sounds like we each have a working part the other needs. Let me know if you're interested in selling it :)

Capnmike, open the bolt and look very carefully at the breach where the firing pin may strike it. If it did strike it, it will dimple it and leave a small burr there, which catches the brass and keeps it from extracting. If you look at the brass you dig out , you'll see a scratch on it where the burr grabs it.
IF this is your case, you have a worn firing pin, it should be shaped to catch a stop and keep it from moving forward enough to strike the breach. And if this is the case, buy a new firing pin, available from gunpartscorp.com . Replacement is easy, google or you tube it.
Then take a long tapered punch, and from the rear, drop into chamber and tap it and the burr will be pushed back into place. Problem will be solved for the cost of a new firing pin (and a tapered punch if you don't have one.).
PM me if you have questions.
SMLE shooter, surely, it has to be a simple fix. Keep looking. Or give it to me, HA!
Dan

I'll correct myself from above post, if you use a tapered punch to smooth out dimple, you won't be able to drop in from rear. Find a way to do it, like grab it will needle nose vise grips and then tap on vise grips with small hammer. you are basically trying to put the metal back into the original place, not remove it. Dan

Thx for all the tips and I'll give them a try. Another friend found an 81 at a pawn shop nears Conyers but the guy wanted $200, said it was broke but wouldn't come off the $200. Several on gunbrokers, advertised as needing repair but prices around $150. Hard to spend that much $$ for a parts gun. Mine has the factory peep sight and like I said , too good to part out. I've always liked the unusual stuff but this is the price you pay for being "out of the mainstream". Thx again for all the info.
Capn

OK the firing pin problem I had was with a model 70, not 80 or 81. So it may not apply.
However, if you are still having fail to extract or eject, this may help. The extractor and ejector are similar looking, but not the same. Don't mix them. The extractor has to have a sharply defined hook to extract the case from the chamber. If the slot and little parts are gummed up with old oil / grease, or powder residue, it can cause problems. Here is a photo of the bolt with parts in place.

And here is the bolt with parts not installed. You can grab with your fingernail and flick it out, or use a little screw driver. I suggest covering with a towel so parts don't fly into outer space. Nothing holds it in but spring tension. The spring fits into a hole, with a plunger, then the extractor. The plunger has a little notch. It is important how it is oriented. Try to notice this before you take it apart.

And here is a photo of the slot with parts removed. There is a little recess that allows the tab of the extractor to fit into. Installing is difficult, it hurts my fingers. I use non-serrated hemostats to grab the extractor, if you use pliers try not to create a burr or that causes problems. First drop the spring into place. Then put the plunger on the spring, with notch toward the inside of bolt. Then take the extractor, and push the plunger down into the hole hard, and when it is pushed back enough, push the extractor from the side and get that little tab into the cutout. Once it is there, it will hold itself together.
Hope this helps. Dan

Back
Top Bottom