• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin rifles back to good?' sss

dickeymoore

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
129   1
Reaction score
I know Marlin was bought out by Remington years ago and I was wondering are the Marlin Lever Action Gun back up to par as they used to be but probably not as good as they used to be but are all the problem solved with the new edition Marlin lever guns like the Marlin sbl ,I'm thinking about buying a Marlin sbl 4570 lever gun or a Henry all-weather but the only disadvantage with the Henry is the to loading tube i think.thanks

I have older Marlins and newer Henry’s and honestly, the loading tube is the only downside to the Henry design. I love my Marlins but the Henry action is just so much smoother and tube feed isn’t that much of a hinderance because I’m not doing tactical reloads or cowboy action shooting. The tube is easier on the fingers than the loading gate receiver on the Marlin too.

Henry's are beautiful, but that tube loading is a PITA.

I've bought two of the 1894s (45 Colt and 38/357) since they've re-released the new rifles, and both are good. I had one of the last 1894s before they shut down production (2010 or so) and that was a total POS.

They started from scratch on the 'new' releases, re-blueprinting them and implementing a whole new production line. The old Marlins were built on 100+ year old machines, and without the labor force they left behind in CT, getting quality rifles off them was almost impossible.

They came out with the 44 Magnum a few years back, and the 45 guns (Colt and -70 Govt) in 2017. The 38/357s started shipping this summer, although the only 38/357s I've seen so far are the Custom Shop rifles with threaded barrels built at Dakota Arms (DA will also be the Remington Custom Shop going forward).

The 45 Colt and 38/357 I have that are the new production are pretty good rifles. Fit and finish on the stocks isn't quite as good as the old, JM ones, but the guts seem solid and there aren't toolmarks and burrs all over them like the 2010 one I bought long ago.

I wouldn't have any problems recommending Marlins these days. They aren't as pretty as Henry's, but they are more functional with the loading gate instead of the tube, and they are slightly cheaper but still a good value.

I'll never understand why people get hung up on the "loading gate vs loading tube". I guess a lot of old timers are used to loading gates so they prefer them, but honestly there's zero downside to a tube. You drop in a handful of ammo (three at a time or so) and zip, zam, zowa you're back in action. MUCH Faster than a loading gate.

And you can still get a Henry with your name in the serial number so....Win.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/create-your-own-henry-heirloom

I'll never understand why people get hung up on the "loading gate vs loading tube". I guess a lot of old timers are used to loading gates so they prefer them, but honestly there's zero downside to a tube. You drop in a handful of ammo (three at a time or so) and zip, zam, zowa you're back in action. MUCH Faster than a loading gate.

And you can still get a Henry with your name in the serial number so....Win.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/create-your-own-henry-heirloom

Ever see John Wayne reload after a choot out? He dang sure didn't fiddle with no loading "toob".

I served with John Wayne. I knew John Wayne. John Wayne was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no John Wayne!

:P

Dang Grumpy Gus is old!

Not because you knew John Wayne but because you’re one of three people here that would get your Lloyd Bentsen reference. I’m one of them too.

Back
Top Bottom