Separate names with a comma.
Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!
Thread in 'Law & Order' started by libertysteeth, Sep 23, 2018.
I am voting NO.
Voting hell no
No. We dont need new laws. We need to be taking a lot off the books as it is.
The proposition has to pass both houses of the Legislature by a supermajority - 2/3rds I think.
Then it is placed on the ballot and a simple majority of the voters can pass it.
Then as pointed out, the legislature has to enact legislation which enables the amendment - that's by a majority of each house and signed by Gov. Abrams.
Thank you for addressing this.
My whitey sense tells me this is framed so that any politician that votes against it will be vilified as a heartless bastard (republican)
Just let me know if you actually get off your computer and cast a real vote.....
It's one of those good things - for abused women don't you know - but 90% of it is duplicated by existing law or common practice. The other 10% is window dressing. But if you are a politician, and you speak against it, then you love rapists and hate women.
The fact that we don't need more overbearing laws just doesn't enter the discussion.
Georgia has had a victim "bill of rights" law since 1993. It's found in OCGA 17-17-1 and up.
Georgia's felony prosecutors-- the District Attorney offices--- have had federal funding and state authorization for Victim-Witness Assistance Units since the early 1990s. I used to volunteer as a Victim-Witness advocate for the Cobb DA's office around 1991 or 1992, before I was an attorney. These victim-witness people are the ones who maintain regular contact with victims and notify them of all the upcoming steps in the criminal justice process, and help them fill out victim impact statements, comfort them before and while they're going to court to testify, etc.
For many years, the Board of Pardons and Paroles has been sending notice the DA's office that convicted a person when that person is up for parole. The prosecutors are invited to comment about the suitability of that person for parole, and to state any facts that may not be known to the Board. If parole is granted, the DA's office is notified. Then, in turn, the DA's Victim-Witness unit should notify the victim (where there is a victim-- plenty of people are in prison for where there is no victim (drug sales) or a big corporate victim (fraud, burglary of a national chain store).
If Marsy's law passes as a constitutional amendment this November, then S.B. 127, passed back in May, will take effect. It's a short and simple bill that says if some victim who opted-in for notice about the progress of a defendant's case DID NOT GET such notice, he or she (the victim) can demand a court hearing and obtain a court order enforcing such rights.
But it doesn't say that if the prior court date or other event in the defendant's prosecution was already completed without the victim being present, it must be done over again.
It doesn't say the victim is entitled to any damages or other compensation.
It just says a judge can slap the hand of the DA's or Solicitor's office and lecture them from the bench, and say "You better follow the law and invite the victim to future court hearings involving this defendant."
It's a real wet fart of a law.
Feel-good-ism. Being able to say "Look, voters, we did something to kick criminals in the teeth and protect you from them!"