• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

marta in gwinnett?

It probably makes sense... Gwinnett county is dense enough along the 85 corridor for heavy rail to pay for itself.

I always laugh when folks say "MARTA brings crime" as if the inner-city hoods are jumping on trains and heading out to the burbs to steal, rob and rape, and then waiting around for the next train home.

It probably did encourage building lower-income neighborhoods near stops though, and lower income almost always equals higher crime.

I doubt that's as true as it was any more though.

Growing up around Boston, being near an MBTA train stop was a very positive thing, and people would pay a premium for houses in walking distance to a "T" stop.

As Atlanta and the immediate suburbs get denser, that same shift seems to be happening here. If you look at the in-town stations, people will pay a fortune to live right on top of a MARTA station and being within driving distance of one is actually a selling point in the 'burbs now as well.

The whole metro area will eventually be city of Atlanta. We are the capital of the Southeast. Resistance is futile against the Vogons. Might as well move. Which is what I've been telling my wife for years. It has fallen on deaf ears.

I am relatively far from Atlanta, but am looking to move to TN or KY in the next 3 or 4 years.
GA is on the way to become another IL, with Atlanta, Disgusta, Macon and Columbus ruling the state.

Gotta love the land prices in KY. My bro and I have been looking there as well. Talking like 600 an acre for a good deal. And it's not crap land either. Right next to Daniel Boone National Forest land. I love it up there. Good hunting, fishing, nice folks, low taxes. What's not to love? Politically they can swing blue but it's more of the old blue dog dem mentality not this newish wave of progressive liberalism I dont think the people of KY have any patience for. Pretty compassionate conservative lot and they love their guns.

I'm not sure where I stand on this.
I work in Midtown. I drive to Doraville to catch a train there every day. Unless I get a bus. The bus normally takes about an hour and a half and it can be two hours sometimes if I choose to go by train. (An hour to an hour to Doraville, longer if the traffic sucks, 30 to 45 minutes on the train.)
The bus line only runs during morning and evening rush hour. and the last one back here leaves at 5:30 which puts a pinch on overtime.
The train is more reliable. The train gets pretty icky after 6 because the hobos are settling into the seats they want to spend the night in.

I wouldn't mind a train station somewhere closer. Lawrenceville or Buford. I don't think that there would be a lot of crooks riding the train into Gwinnett to steal a car and then break into you house. It's easier to steal a car from home and go find something close by.

The thing that concerns me is the time line from the election to the completion. And I figure that I'll be retired or dead by the time they finish the station(s) up here.
I'm probably going to vote no on the expansion.

I’m not opposed to the idea of mass transit. If I lived in the burbs and worked in the city, it would be a great alternative to the quality-of-life-sucking traffic in Atlanta. However, I could only support it if, perhaps, were a privatized effort. Atlanta government, and gov in general, has proven grossly incompetent at problem-solving. Not to mention the rampant corruption.

Exhibit A:

Ex-MARTA administrator sentenced for role in $520K invoice scheme

No, no, and NO!
As a long time resident I want Gwinnett to be LESS convenient/attractive to move to. We've got enough people already thank you very little!
The financial debacle and political pig trough known as MARTA needs to die a free market death or be radically changed for saturation ITP where it "may" make long term sense.

Gotta love the land prices in KY. My bro and I have been looking there as well. Talking like 600 an acre for a good deal. And it's not crap land either. Right next to Daniel Boone National Forest land. I love it up there. Good hunting, fishing, nice folks, low taxes. What's not to love? Politically they can swing blue but it's more of the old blue dog dem mentality not this newish wave of progressive liberalism I dont think the people of KY have any patience for. Pretty compassionate conservative lot and they love their guns.
Research that area well. My wife's is from SE KY. They have a MAJOR problems with meth heads, all of SE Kentucky does. And look for a job ahead of time. Good paying jobs are scare up that way, that's why TN is on play for us.

No, no, and NO!
As a long time resident I want Gwinnett to be LESS convenient/attractive to move to. We've got enough people already thank you very little!
The financial debacle and political pig trough known as MARTA needs to die a free market death or be radically changed for saturation ITP where it "may" make long term sense.
:thumb:

I'm not paying out of pocket for it so the cost is irrelevant

It's about 10 miles away still. :) Bad guys from Atlanta come up this way now for car and house robberies. They steal a car in Atlanta, drive to the burbs where they break into cars/houses, and steal an SUV to drive the goods back to Atlanta. I don't picture someone taking Marta downtown with a 55" TV and bunch of rifles?
trust me, i grew up ITP and my exgirlfriend lived right next to marta in L5P. it invites people into the area generally who have no business being there.

Back
Top Bottom