• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Master Chevy Mechanic Needed

BullseyeBoomer

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
120   0
Reaction score
I have a '96 Tahoe that appears to be leaking coolant at the rear of the intake manifold. My diagnosis is a bad lower intake manifold gasket, a common issue with the 5.7L Vortec V-8. I'm an ASE certified engine mechanic, but at 63 years old with arthritis and a bad back, the mind is willing but the body isn't, so I need someone with the right qualifications to do the job for me. If done properly, there's also steering and suspension work that need doing.

If you have plenty of experience replacing intake gaskets on this engine and live in the Rossville/Ft. Oglethorpe/Chickamauga area please send me a PM.

Semper fi!

20150427_1007.JPG

20150427_1058#2.jpg

Tear it down to the point the intake can come off then lay the neighbor kid 30 bucks to take it off and set it on your bench for you then pay him 30 bucks to set it back on after you clean it all up. Get you a good thick blanket put it on the core support and it's all belly work as I am sure you know(other then the ac/p.s. bracket)

Tear it down to the point the intake can come off then lay the neighbor kid 30 bucks to take it off and set it on your bench for you then pay him 30 bucks to set it back on after you clean it all up. Get you a good thick blanket put it on the core support and it's all belly work as I am sure you know(other then the ac/p.s. bracket)
Sold it...

The distributor will have be removed and the timing will have to be set with a computer. I found this out the hard way.

No timing light? The distributor doesn't turn?

I would love to know how you did a chevy Vortec 350 timing reset, after distributor removal.

Easy set top dead center remove distributor. Install distributor make sure it is pointing at TDC on these you have 2degrees advance or retarded or they won't run there is nothing a computer / scan tool will do to change that if the distributor isn't TDC when installed its not going to run. I do this for a living.

Easy set top dead center remove distributor. Install distributor make sure it is pointing at TDC on these you have 2degrees advance or retarded or they won't run there is nothing a computer / scan tool will do to change that if the distributor isn't TDC when installed its not going to run. I do this for a living.

I guess I just for lucky when I did mine. Not realizing that there wasn't a timing mark until after the intake gasket had been replaced and everything reinstalled.
Hooked up the timing light, but there was no timing mark to be found. She cranked up and ran fine. I was told that the timing would have to be set by hooking up a computer that would electronically set the timing to it's correct position. Had the trans. rebuilt soon afterward and the shop charged 90.00 to set the timing, or they may have just ripped me off for 90.00 and done nothing?

Back
Top Bottom