• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mater Samich

Love me some mater sammiches
tumblr_ope2wgiWei1u9ooogo1_500.gif

Wheat bread, good amount of Duke's mayonnaise, a half inch cut of tomato garden grown,5 strips of bacon, lightly sprinkled black pepper, a sprinkle or two of paprika, if you prefer more salt then use sea salt.

Sweet tea, or coke, mustard style potato salad, and for the sweet tooth, blackberry or blueberry pie...

Oh man! You got me thinking.

Granny was a Missouri farmer. She liked to grow rhubarb and strawberries.

Rhubarb pie and vanilla ice cream. I miss my granny. She has been gone a long time.

Oh man! You got me thinking.

Granny was a Missouri farmer. She liked to grow rhubarb and strawberries.

Rhubarb pie and vanilla ice cream. I miss my granny. She has been gone a long time.

Yes our grandmother has been gone since 1992, when we traveled and when were going into the area she lived we would called her and asked her if we could take her out to lunch or dinner, she would say no, just come by and we will just visit.

We certainly knew what was going to take place then, a visit turned into buffet, fried chicken from a well season black cast iron skillet, angel fine chopped style cole slaw, cabbage, miniature chopped onions, carrots (to add a flare and to add a little color, home style mustard potato salad, fried okra, green beans, home fries, homemade biscuits (she called cat heads because they were the size of a bobcats head, she would cut the biscuits open and place the biggest 1/2" to 3/4" slice of her garden fresh tomatoes in it after she had put some fresh churned butter in those biscuits.

She would would make chocolate custard pie, lemon ice box pie that was so delightful tart it would make your flavor buds on your tongue scream for more, and of course she would make a pie she called million dollar pie, and it tasted like it too!!!

Yep, guys if you can find a lady who can cook you have a very special lady, never get up from the table without giving her a big, THANK YOU, a hug and big KISS.

My, grandmother would say,

Remember KISSIN, don't last,

But GOOOOD, Cookin DO!!!

Yeah, we miss ours, everyday we really do.

She saw these things first hand or lived through them, radio, tv, color tv, WWII, KOREAN WAR, VIET NAM, DESSERT STORM, Lived through the great depression, and would laugh at how little as a kid they had but they always had plenty to eat, share and how the family was all together at meal times, YEP, we have some terrific memories and had some great "TASTING VITTLES AS SHE WOULD CALL HER COOKING".

Thanks for all the wonderful times, and the love you put into every meal we had as a kid, and in adult hood also, my grand mother was a great parent, advisor, instructor, the one who taught me to cook, wow I owe you a debt of gratefulness I could never ever repay... But then you would not accept it anyway...

Thank you so very much...

Back
Top Bottom