• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Material cost to build a 16 x 20 shed? Also general questions

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
This is a shed/work shop and I already have a cement slab large enough for it but have a few questions:

Are most sheds built 16 or 24 inches on center?

2 x 4 walls and rafters or 2 x 6?

Plywood or OSB roof?

Is roof pitch 4/12 good enough?

Is it cheaper to asphalt shingle or a metal roof?

How do you determine how much lumber will be needed to stick build it?

did mine 2x4 walls 16oc. Roof 2x6 24oc. Used osb board on roof with shingles.
Take the length in feet times by 12 and devide by 16 to figure wall. Add 2 boards for each corner.
16ft x 12=192/16=12+4=14.
That’s one wall same for the other. 20 ft don’t add extra boards.
4x12 pitch is great go get a Swanson speed square to figure rafters and angles.

You should check with your local jurisdiction before starting. Most cities and many counties require a building permit for a structure over 100sf. That same planning department will happily tell you any additional requirements.

Generally speaking, 2x4 wall studs @16" OC is the standard. Rafters can be 2x4, Joist 2x6 or better. OSB is cheaper than ply, ply will last a lot longer.

Ready-made trusses for the roof may save you some money and a bunch of time.

I thought about building something similar (smaller tho) but by the time I added up material costs and all the work involved, pfft. I’m thinking for something that large you’d be better off (cost-wise) with something like this.

https://m.costco.com/Braxton-12'-x-24'-Garage-Shed.product.100364050.html

$3799 for everything except for shingles and paint. It’s delivered on pallets with everything already cut. Just add beer and a friend or two.

I thought about building something similar (smaller tho) but by the time I added up material costs and all the work involved, pfft. I’m thinking for something that large you’d be better off (cost-wise) with something like this.

https://m.costco.com/Braxton-12'-x-24'-Garage-Shed.product.100364050.html

$3799 for everything except for shingles and paint. It’s delivered on pallets with everything already cut. Just add beer and a friend or two.

I built a 12x16 Costco shed. It's a good kit, but don't kid yourself: It's still nearly as much work as building from scratch.

Attachments

• 00m0m_7Tie5Ypd0YE_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_7Tie5Ypd0YE_600x450.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 29
I build a 12x16 Costco shed. It's a good kit, but don't kid yourself: It's still nearly as much work as building from scratch.

No doubt. It’s basically the same amount of work once you figured out your plans, material list, measurements, and such. But just doing all that to get started can be daunting or at least it was to me. The way they package it up nicely is not only cost-effective, but also makes it much easier to actually get started.

Back
Top Bottom