• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

May be a big nothing burger, or could be the biggest Tsunami to hit the US

Elevation here…. 10 feet.
That gonna be a problem?
Somebody ‘splain to me how a volcanic eruption that is not undersea is going to cause tsunamis.
We’ve had more problems from a good spring tide.

The problem (if there is one) is that about half of La Palma island could slide into the ocean. That would cause a landslide tsunami, which can cause wave heights much taller than one caused by a subduction event (normal earthquake).

How much bigger? In 1958 a large earthquake caused landslides in Lituya Bay in Alaska that in turn caused a tsunami that "ran up" 1,720 feet.

There is no way La Palma would cause a tsunami that high, as the geography isn't right. Any tsunami could also lose a LOT of "punch" traveling through the ocean; but it might not, as well - no one really knows for sure. Worst case scenario would be an entire east coast wave of 30-50 feet, with 7-9 hours' notice.

In order to generate a tsunami like this the island would have to split and half fall into the water. A volcanic eruption alone wouldn't do it. If someone thinks that that's never going to happen, consider that there is already a large fissure running through the island today.

An explosive volcanic eruption or earthquake *could* cause the landslide of between 150-500 cubic kilometers of material, but it's really unlikely as long as the volcano keeps spewing. As long as it's flowing, it ain't blowing.

Videos Ive watched mentioned waves “hundreds of meters high” and it would take 8 hours to cross the Atlantic. And wipe out anything within 15 miles of the coast. Thats hard to believe.

It amazes me throughout all this Global-Warming-gonna-melt-the icecaps stuff leftists concentrate on the very places they've already scare-defined themselves as being the #1 victims..... Yet, they still move there - in DROVES...
sounds like a divine plan to me.

Actually it's Key West that is really Rainbow, the rest of our Islands are pretty much screwed, but not because of the rainbow effect, it's the northern crowds that came down and ruined it. It's so crowded now, traffic is a nightmare every weekend. It used to be pristine and peaceful. Now busy and expensive. My family has been there since the early 50's, I was born there in 1960. The Keys will always be my home, but not where I live.
Sounds very familiar. Its happening here at an exponential rate. The “northern crowd”(lol) are having to fight over whats left with the western crowd. Its hard to even go out to eat anymore. It gets worse all the time. Im not sure its tsunami safe anyway lol

Back
Top Bottom