• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Maybe I'm stupid?

TRS

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
Was looking at some 5.56 ammo that was for sale, there were no signs of annealing on the case neck, I thought all 5.56 has the heat marks, and 223 did not. Am I stupid?

I anneal my rifle brass after every firing, but that's mainly due to the fact that I find it soothing and have the equipment. Plenty of studies done on annealing rifle brass, Bryan Litz to be specific, that shows that it is not as important as some want you to believe, and this is for highly accurate and consistent ammo.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the lack of appearance that the 556 brass made it into the tip of hell before turning around and coming back to be loaded.

I was going by a posted picture of some ammo for sale, it looked too consistently shiney, no brand or head stamp pictures. Was listed as 223/5.56, I'm going to pass.

Annealing color can be tumbled off. All brass is annealed as part of the manufacturing process. The military specifies the coloring be left as it proves it was done. However, if it's made for another countries military they might not have the requirement and the color tumbled off.

Back
Top Bottom