• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanic question

gober13

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
478   0
Reaction score
Got an 87 f250 6.9l idi, 4x4. 5spd. Going to fix it up for my son.its been a farm truck and not driven great distances. Got it home (120 highway miles) and and noticed the front diff was leaking oil pretty fast. Now its been sitting a few weeks im sure it doesn't have any fluids left in the front diff. Its above my knowledge on how to fix it. My question is if i drive it to a shop will it tear anything up? If it was the rear diff (staight axle) i could change the gasket myself, bit the ford hybrid front is weird to my non mechanical self

First order of business is to top it off with the proper amount of gear oil then clean the front end with some purple power and pressure washer to find where the leak is coming from after driving it some. It may just be the pinion seal which can be replaced fairly easy like any other diff.
Even though your front hubs are independently lubricated, I would not advise driving it without first filling the diff regardless of how far or in 2wd or not.

First order of business is to top it off with the proper amount of gear oil then clean the front end with some purple power and pressure washer to find where the leak is coming from after driving it some. It may just be the pinion seal which can be replaced fairly easy like any other diff.
Even though your front hubs are independently lubricated, I would not advise driving it without first filling the diff regardless of how far or in 2wd or not.
What he and 41 mag said. As long as it's getting a good dose of lube it will be fine. Whoever recommended a good cleaning is wise. Go to the car wash and spray it off real good after a good soak in degreaser. I not for you to detect leakage then do it for the place you take it to.

Back
Top Bottom