• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanics and business owners

Sounds like they replaced the factory high grade bolts, with low grade hardware, and they sheared off.
Not a torque part where something might shear. Standard parts, probably held with nut plates, or welded in place nuts.
I'm with the others if it was loose you would have known as soon as you put it in gear.

Very odd

Not a torque part where something might shear. Standard parts, probably held with nut plates, or welded in place nuts.
I'm with the others if it was loose you would have known as soon as you put it in gear.

Very odd
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Odd, very odd. Did the shop really screw up? Or did something wierd happen with the bolts? Who knows, but we know this... the shop took care of it and paid the tow bill. You did get $100 to put towards a rental. Sounds like the shop did the right thing in the end. Thats pretty much all you can ask for. I bet had you asked for a loaner or rental instead of...."I wanted my labor$ back form the first time. We argued and argued." and "I felt like I should be compensated because for my time just like I compensated them for theirs, even though they couldn't do it right the first time. Like I said we argued and argued and in the end they gave me $100 back and will fix my truck tomorrow." you would have had a much easier time getting a vehicle to drive while yours was being fixed. That post(#4) says a lot about how the confrontation went down.

All this makes me glad I do my own repairs. And as someone who once did mechanic work for others, and knows that ANYthing can and sometimes does happen. I am more understanding about things like this.

No one wants something like this to happen. Not you, and certainly not the shop. But it sounds like they treated you well in a bad situation, they didn't have to offer you the $100.

You said you had your child with you ? Just be happy breaking down was the worst that happened.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Odd, very odd. Did the shop really screw up? Or did something wierd happen with the bolts? Who knows, but we know this... the shop took care of it and paid the tow bill. You did get $100 to put towards a rental. Sounds like the shop did the right thing in the end. Thats pretty much all you can ask for. I bet had you asked for a loaner or rental instead of...."I wanted my labor$ back form the first time. We argued and argued." and "I felt like I should be compensated because for my time just like I compensated them for theirs, even though they couldn't do it right the first time. Like I said we argued and argued and in the end they gave me $100 back and will fix my truck tomorrow." you would have had a much easier time getting a vehicle to drive while yours was being fixed. That post(#4) says a lot about how the confrontation went down.

Either way, I was nice, I didn't demand anything, and by me saying "we argued and argued", there was no anger or finger pointing. Just two grown men disagreeing with each other.

All this makes me glad I do my own repairs. And as someone who once did mechanic work for others, and knows that ANYthing can and sometimes does happen. I am more understanding about things like this.

No one wants something like this to happen. Not you, and certainly not the shop. But it sounds like they treated you well in a bad situation, they didn't have to offer you the $100.

You said you had your child with you ? Just be happy breaking down was the worst that happened.

Yeah, I'm good with the outcome as long as it's fixed right this time.

It sounds like they did the right thing. First they fixed you vehicle and did not charge you, paid the tow bill and gave you $100 toward a rental. To get reimbursed for you time, what may have happened, is a bit out of the ordinary. To expect to be credited for the original bill, is above and beyond to me. BUT ,since I was in the business, I have done it in some cases. Mostly when a customer gets loud and rude and I can only hope I NEVER SEE T hem again. I mean if I return you money for the repair, why don't you then take that money and have someone else fix it at YOUR expense. I mean you then have never given them any money for the repair. I know that seems a bit out of the ordinary, but I have seen shops, " wash their hands of the repair and you" so be happy it was taken care of and they did the right thing. Remember it may still not be right, drive it for a while and hope it's OK?

Reading the whole post, I see it was a Toyota, we always took the drive shaft to drive line service and totally rebuild the drive shaft, there are usually 4 or 5 Toyota drive shafts there already. Even the dealer takes them to them. They are problematic drive shafts, so hope it's done right this time!!!! Be nice and friendly because it may have more problems unless they did what we used to do. Good luck!!!!!

Reactions: MRM
Back
Top Bottom