• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanics - what cars do you repair the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a class action suit against Kia and Hyundai covering a whole buncha vehicles that caught fire. Mostly revolving around their 2.4l engines.

I have a 3.3L Sorento that required a new engine at 85kiles.

Before that happened, I was a fan.
For some reason white Kia models have a problem with the paint just giving up and pedaling off down to the metal. It's happening on our Soul. I've seen it on several Sorrrentos in white. Hyundai/Kia knew it was a problem and ignored it. The class action about it went nowhere. The only way I would buy another Kia would be if it was a dirt cheap high MPG car. As in an old Rio for around $1200.00.

The classic which vehicle is better than they others argument is very very subjective. Everyone has different usages and expectations out of what they drive that it is impossible to say which vehicle is the best. Classic wisdom is to stick to something that you can reasonably work on, because sooner or later, they ALL give issues. I have found that people that have the most issues out of cars are the ones that drive them like rentals, never check the oil, never service them, and never take them in for recalls. Every auto brand ends up with vehicles that give issues, its just law of mechanical systems and law of averages ( think back to the Firestone tires on Explorers or the guys that bought 6 liter Ford Diesels to pull heavy loads with). Nowadays, there is not much the average DIY guy or gal can do in her garage. Remember to look at the whole picture of what you need out of your vehicle when you buy one and not get caught up on just one feature. Personally, I am truck guy. I have only owned 5 in almost 20 years of driving, and I still have 3 of them. My first one got retired at 290K when I decided I knew more than GM and started swapping stuff around and was no longer reliable. My next one was an 04 Silverado that I still own with 315k miles on it with basic service, 2 alternators, one water pump, and one clutch at 290K. Happy car shopping and remember, treat sales people like they are trying to steal food off your children's plate, because they are.

Fun little fact here. We were doing some training at work and the people that trained us were trained by Toyota trainers. Toyota has no trade secrets at all, they told our trainers that they are so ahead of their competition that they could tell them all their secrets and it wouldn’t matter because whAt was new yesterday is now old for Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom