media change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khewitt

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
568   0
Reaction score
how often do you change your cleaning media in your tumbler and why.

i change mine about every 6 months BUT i also tumble my brass for longer than most people. so i dont think i have to change it that often, i just add some polish and turn them on.
plus i have three tumblers i use

I change mine when it starts taking longer to get the brass clean. I add a little brasso every once in a while also.

I may be wrong, but I don't think brasso or anything containing ammonia is recommended for cartridge brass. It continues to break down the brass long after the cleaning. Brasso may have changed formulas 10 times since I read the warnings. It was probably 20 years ago, but it stuck with me. Medias cheap, I probably change mine more often than necesssary. It's according to what I've been running through it. Range brass with dirt and other contaminants will get me to change it. I'll usually save my dirtiest brass for the last tumble before changing. I do use Midways' additive, it works well, and a little goes a long way.

Hey T Burnham. just thought I'd let you know, I went ahead and got one the Lyman 1200 Cabelas has on sale. If you remember when I got that brass I said that was kicking around the idea of a second one. Cleaning all those 40's has my old Frankford huffin' and puffin', so when I saw the Lyman on sale I went ahead. My thought is to clean the dirty range brass in one and not change the media as often. Then clean my resized lubed rifle brass and my recovered brass in the other. Thanks again for the bargain on the 40s'. Chuckdog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom