• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Media Separator Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... frankford arsenal rotary style setup, but it didn't get very good reviews.

I have one and I like it a lot. I just keep turning the crank until the media stops falling out of the .223 brass. The rolling action seems to do a good job emptying the cases. I use the point of a case trimmer to poke out any media stuck in the primer hole. (one in ten?)
I would have taken the cheap route and picked up something at WM, but it came in a kit with a tumbler.

I spent a few bucks and got the RCBS media seperator. I had been using my homemade using 5 gallon buckets and hardware cloth. The RCBS is great. Dump your brass and media into the inner basket, lock it down and start spinning. It seperates the media from the brass without dust or dirt and does an excellent job. It was worth every penny IMO.

I'm like wildmantz, had a large rotary Dillon for years..it really works well especially if you have on of their large vibrating tumblers

Even the stainless media can casue hangups... I've added a magnet to my media separation tools... Works great snagging singles of steel.

Are you using .041 pins if so they will clog the primer pockets, and in the last year or so they have come out with the .047 pins and that problem seems to have solved that hang up problem.

just a simple suggestion...

I use a ( Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator ) over a 5 gallon bucket. It's a sphere shaped tumbler with a handle. It comes with two supports that fit on both sides of the bucket for the tumbler to sit in. You simply rotate the tumbler with the crank on the side and it tumbles all the casings until all the media is in the bucket. It's cheap and very fast, effective, and leaves virtually no media on the cases. Of course I do it outside because some of the media will fly out, very, very, very little but some. It takes about 10 rotations and it's ready to go. You simply return the media to the brass tumbler, open the separator and pour out the brass into your pan for dry lube for de-priming and re-sizing.
upload_2018-6-17_6-56-17.png

A whopping 19.00 dollars for a quick and effective way of separating the media from the brass. The pick shows a brass tumbler and media but that's not included in the 19 dollar price. Just the sphere shaped tumbler and accessories. Along with the Hornady media and little dab of polish and the cases look better than new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom