• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Meet your Community Supervision Officer (Sworn) advice

Are you stuck with the typical leo Sam Brown rig as your only option? If you are I would do just as @Ken Ford suggests and stay with leather for every single piece of gear I possibly could. When it comes to comfort, nothing compares to well worn leather, and you get it without really sacrificing any durability.

If not I would suggest exploring other avenues and building you rig to fit your specific needs, everything you need and nothing you don't to do your daily normal duty, and leave everything else in a go bag in the car to grab when you need it. A common mistake for a first duty rig is to hang too much on it.

I wear 5.11s and a polo every day for a duty uniform and my rig consists of an Endom Belt, 3 HSGI pistol Tacos (2 for mags, 1 for handheld light), an Esstac rifle mag pouch, a Specter Gear Handcuff pouch, and a DSG Alpha G17/X300 holster. It weighs in at just under 11 pounds....and all the macho "weight don't bother me" aside....the number of pounds hanging off your hips hours daily, weekly, monthly, yearly matter.

001.JPG

When it comes handcuffs I prefer hinged cuffs because they are easier to handle under stress and use for control with one hand cuffed on a resistant subject. If you are going with two pairs, whether chain or hinged, I would roll with one Peerless set and one S&W set. That combo will give you a set of cuffs that will fit very large wrists down to normal adult/teen (Peerless) and a set of cuffs that will fit normal adults down to the thin wrists of a skinny juvenile (S&W).

Weapon and hand held lights? I choose Surefire mainly because of durability, their support for the military and le professions, and bullet proof customer service. I have broken a few Surefire lights in the line of duty both in the Military and policing. In every instance when I sent them for repair Surefire has replaced them instead, no cost, returned with a little note that said "Thank You For Choosing Surefire, And Thank You For Your Service."

Good luck in your new career choice.

It's just a new name for probation officer. They have changed how they work and now supervise from the field. In the community.
There's enough to worry about without putting on the tin foil, even after it's been explained to you.
I understood it before I made my first remark. Why not just call them "probation officers" as their is no need to disguise who they are or what their role (and the value of their service, thereof) is. It is just smacks a little too close to "community organizer". Does anyone need an explanation of what that really is?

Are you stuck with the typical leo Sam Brown rig as your only option? If you are I would do just as @Ken Ford suggests and stay with leather for every single piece of gear I possibly could. When it comes to comfort, nothing compares to well worn leather, and you get it without really sacrificing any durability.

If not I would suggest exploring other avenues and building you rig to fit your specific needs, everything you need and nothing you don't to do your daily normal duty, and leave everything else in a go bag in the car to grab when you need it. A common mistake for a first duty rig is to hang too much on it.

I wear 5.11s and a polo every day for a duty uniform and my rig consists of an Endom Belt, 3 HSGI pistol Tacos (2 for mags, 1 for handheld light), an Esstac rifle mag pouch, a Specter Gear Handcuff pouch, and a DSG Alpha G17/X300 holster. It weighs in at just under 11 pounds....and all the macho "weight don't bother me" aside....the number of pounds hanging off your hips hours daily, weekly, monthly, yearly matter.

View attachment 1160831

When it comes handcuffs I prefer hinged cuffs because they are easier to handle under stress and use for control with one hand cuffed on a resistant subject. If you are going with two pairs, whether chain or hinged, I would roll with one Peerless set and one S&W set. That combo will give you a set of cuffs that will fit very large wrists down to normal adult/teen (Peerless) and a set of cuffs that will fit normal adults down to the thin wrists of a skinny juvenile (S&W).

Weapon and hand held lights? I choose Surefire mainly because of durability, their support for the military and le professions, and bullet proof customer service. I have broken a few Surefire lights in the line of duty both in the Military and policing. In every instance when I sent them for repair Surefire has replaced them instead, no cost, returned with a little note that said "Thank You For Choosing Surefire, And Thank You For Your Service."

Good luck in your new career choice.
No, from what Ive seen I have wide latitude to choose holsters, and belts/ pouches of my style and choice (nylon, leather or otherwise). I saw one with a Blackhawk 20$ glock holster, another with a Serpa Level III retention and light.

When I worked for the Department of Corrections as a Probation Officer, they gave us the crappiest holsters, vests, and mag pouches available. I used my old Sam Brown leather from my police days. The Sam Brown belt is probably the best thing you can own if you are in law enforcement.

Georgia combined the DOC Probation Department with the Board of Pardons and Parole, Parole Officers a couple of years back. I don't know how that's working out for them though.

Back
Top Bottom