• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Memorial Day

This hangs in the old courthouse in the square in Dawsonville. My mother’s first husband. KIA in WWII.

275F9072-141E-41A7-8CEE-D97B1B87081F.jpeg

Here in Ellijay they put crosses up in a line along old 5 from the start of grass just pass the round about all the way past the light and it keeps getting longer. About a mile long now and spaced maybe 3ft apart all have, Their name and war they were in..I take my hat off every time I go down the road..Tears as I type this, God bless those that gave their life for Freedom! Time to get off here for awhile.

Here in Ellijay they put crosses up in a line along old 5 from the start of grass just pass the round about all the way past the light and it keeps getting longer. About a mile long now and spaced maybe 3ft apart all have, Their name and war they were in..I take my hat off every time I go down the road..Tears as I type this, God bless those that gave their life for Freedom! Time to get off here for awhile.
DD, Dawson County does the same. All around the old courthouse and on both sides of each main road into and going out of town. I thinks it’s a great way to honor those local citizens that have served and passed on.

I'm thankful for all the the Marines that didn't make it back from Guadalcanal so my Grandpa could.

DD, Dawson County does the same. All around the old courthouse and on both sides of each main road into and going out of town. I thinks it’s a great way to honor those local citizens that have served and passed on.

I grew up on the edge of Duluth, GA and they do this every year.

So far I’ve been wished Happy Memorial Day twice this week and a store in my town has Happy Memorial Day on their digital sign. Just damn.....

Decoration Day

Sleep, comrades, sleep and rest
On this Field of the Grounded Arms,
Where foes no more molest,
Nor sentry’s shot alarms!

Ye have slept on the ground before,
And started to your feet
At the cannon’s sudden roar,
Or the drum’s redoubling beat.

But in this camp of Death
No sound your slumber breaks;
Here is no fevered breath,
No wound that bleeds and aches.

All is repose and peace,
Untrampled lies the sod;
The shouts of battle cease,
It is the Truce of God!

Rest, comrades, rest and sleep!
The thoughts of men shall be
As sentinels to keep
Your rest from danger free.

Your silent tents of green
We deck with fragrant flowers
Yours has the suffering been,
The memory shall be ours.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I freely admit I tear up every Memorial Day. My children understand it is not a party vacation day, but a day of remembrance. Like Good Friday.

I've laid a wreath on the Arizona, I've decorated graves in the Punchbowl and the Georgia Veterans' Cemetery, I've mourned friends that I'll only see in Heaven, and I've rubbed names off the Vietnam Memorial Wall. I am thankful for their sacrifice, too bad we only think about this once a year.

For the past 10 years, every year, I've built a Memorial Day sand sculpture (even if small) on the beach of Anna Marie Island in Florida (this year I could not due to work). For 9 of those 10 years the marker stood for days. Even the "beach sweeper" machine that reconditions the beach sand let is stand unmarred. I watched that big machine make an effort to leave it untouched as long as the flag flew. Last year, for the first time ever, some punk kicked it over, flag and all, within four hours of having built it. I am glad that I didn't see who did it.

God Bless those who served. God keep those who didn't come home.

Back
Top Bottom