• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Men over 50 should not use a chainsaw.

My father loved running chainsaws and did so up into his 70's. Im not talking little walmart saws I mean the old,loud bow saws that would cut practically anything. My uncle even told me a story of when my father was a younger man could and would run one in each hand. the man just loved cutting wood.

Exactly. You just proved the point
Sadly, no. It was the same thing that happened to my brother in his late 20's. Decided to climb an extension ladder to take out a large, high limb. Limb swung down and took out him and the ladder.

In my brother's case, his wife was terrified and called me over before the cutting. I convinced him to rig a safety line and tie a basket harness (we learned from rappelling). I held the ladder and he cut the limb. As I had feared, the limb swung down and smashed into the ladder. Knocked him off and pinched both my pinkies to the ladder as it buckled. Safety line held though and I lowered him down. Everybody more or less ok.

Fast forward 25 years later to my buddy. He was not so lucky and did not have anyone belaying him. He died later that night. I do what I can now for his wife and kids. RIP Marine.

My father loved running chainsaws and did so up into his 70's. Im not talking little walmart saws I mean the old,loud bow saws that would cut practically anything. My uncle even told me a story of when my father was a younger man could and would run one in each hand. the man just loved cutting wood.
My family were farmers but when the depression hit and then after they turned to pulp wood to make ends meet. I remember growing up with the smell of fresh cut pines and chainsaw oil.

My family were farmers but when the depression hit and then after they turned to pulp wood to make ends meet. I remember growing up with the smell of fresh cut pines and chainsaw oil.
Yup same for me except I think my dad and uncle cut mainly because it was their main source for heat and even some pot belly brewing!

Back
Top Bottom