• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal detecting finds

I need to add this. If you're going to make it part of an offshore trip be sure your boat & life insurance are both current. The Sebastian Inlet is one of the most dangerous in the world. If you have a 16 ft boat Do Not try your luck. You just can't imagine in your worst dreams the water action that's possible in the inlet. Once you commit to it do not change your mind, you will sink. Life jackets ON, hand on throttle, eyes straight ahead while you're looking down at the bottom rocks while you're riding a 12 ft wave in a tornado. No exaggerating. The inlet is horrifying. But I've seen it smooth too. You never know.

I need to add this. If you're going to make it part of an offshore trip be sure your boat & life insurance are both current. The Sebastian Inlet is one of the most dangerous in the world. If you have a 16 ft boat Do Not try your luck. You just can't imagine in your worst dreams the water action that's possible in the inlet. Once you commit to it do not change your mind, you will sink. Life jackets ON, hand on throttle, eyes straight ahead while you're looking down at the bottom rocks while you're riding a 12 ft wave in a tornado. No exaggerating. The inlet is horrifying. But I've seen it smooth too. You never know.
I always wondered if those guys were the ones supplying the treasure museum down the road.

Does a “pin pointer” wand really help?
If you are digging in dirt it makes recovery time 10 times quicker. I pull it out on almost every hole I dig. When hunting the beach I don't even bring it. If you are serious about getting into detecting get the Garret pinpointer, to me it's well worth the price.

Anybody magnet-fish ? I gots me a good strong magnet, heavy line or paracord and go for it !
Bridges over the river or lakes are the best...dock sites....marinas are a gold mine..lol. :fish2:

It does and it doesn't. Depending on the kind of detecting you're doing. I'm mostly a beach comber and so for me, they are kind of pointless. You just scoop the hit and rinse it out in the basket and it finds itself. If you're dealing with soil, they can be helpful to pinpoint where in the shovel of dirt the object is. If it were my turn to offer advice, I'd say start without one and then see if you feel like you need it.

Excellent advice. Thanks.

Anybody magnet-fish ? I gots me a good strong magnet, heavy line or paracord and go for it !
Bridges over the river or lakes are the best...dock sites....marinas are a gold mine..lol. :fish2:

No pictures = it never happened. Show us some of your scores!!!!

Anyone got some pictures of their finds?
I mean, I can post a pic of tent stakes, beer cans, and pull tabs but I'm sure nobody would be impressed. I think in the years I've been doing it, I've found a handful of pocket change and a fake gold chain.

Back
Top Bottom