• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metallic Cartridge Reloading for the New Guy

Very good info here. I'm new here so don't know all the rules yet. I'm also new to reloading so i'm no expert. Most of what i know about reloading came from watching youtube videos. A friend tried to tell me how everything worked but i'm more of a visual learner so youtube was great. Another great source is the Lee reloading manual. kinda dated pictures but it's still good material.

My setup:
Lee Classic Turret press
Lee deluxe carbide 45acp
Lee carbide 270win dies
Hornady New Dimensions 40s&w/10mm

Nothing special, but it works for me.

Anybody thinking about starting to reload be warned: It is VERY addictive. Just loading the first 45, the satisfaction that you made something yourself, Amazing!!!

If I can help anybody, just ask.

It's very rewarding to help someone learn to reload.
It's certainly been one of the most rewarding things I've ever taught anyone.
It's nice of you to offer.
That turret press is a fine machine for a beginner and expert alike, you can load many calibers with at the most a one minute change between them. As long as you leave the already set up dies in a turret it's super quick. I have a progressive as well, but as an all around press that turret is awesome!

Thanks... I haven't reloaded any nickel plated brass to date.....

Make sure the nickel brass is clean before you resize it is stiffer than brass cases, you will feel it is stiffer when you resize, other than that it is just like loading brass cases , good luck, you are welcome to PM ,e if you have and questions

Bill I don't think they last as long myself, I had better luck with rifle cases than straight wall pistol cases

I could imagine that the stiffer nickel cases get "weary" from resizing differently than the brass.

I have no idea how many times I've reloaded a piece of pistol brass, any pistol brass.

I was real careful tracking the rifle brass for a long while and have now even stopped tracking that.
When it doesn't look right, when it doesn't feel right in the press or feel right in my hand it just get thrown in the bad brass bucket. I make light ammo for competition usually, I never make ammo for carry or hunting. I just don't use enough of those to have it make sense to me. A 20 round box of bullets probably lasts me 5 or 6 years of hunting, lol.

Now you have me wondering if keeping my loads light, even extends the life of a piece of brass.
It seems like it should, but I have no way of telling.
I'd imagine somewhere in the mix of maybe 5 thousand pieces of 9mm brass there's still one from the day I started, lol. Good old brass, it does the job so very well! :becky:

If I load light, many reloadings for brass cases can be obtained. The wear seems to be worst on my .357 Magnum cases and nickel seems to split earlier. I do tend to (always) load .357 Magnum to .357 Magnum as .38 SPL. loads are my plinkers in my .357 Magnum revolvers.

Thank You for this great information on starting to reload. Just set up my Lee classic turret and will test my first 20 rounds tomorrow. This ODT site and the generous folks who post and share make this a fantastic sport. I do appreciate all your input and advice.

Back
Top Bottom