• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Meth Users

I've met and known a few people that dove off into meth. One friend I grew up with got bad on it and so did his wife. It's really hard on women. But he's the only person I know who ever came back from it. In fact he owns a cross fit gym in Macon now and is in WAY better shape than me.
There's money in meth and cocaine. Money for the dealers,the cops ,the lawyers and job security for corrections people. That's why it's still illegal and why most users that get caught don't do any time. And dealers get out of prison faster than any other type of criminals. See the state knows that the dealers will go right back to making the fast cash money and they'll get to bust, seize and fine all over again.

QUOTE: "Here's my question, why does it seem like the laws for meth use and possession are not that strict? Basically, the only way you go straight to jail and stay there is if you were caught cooking it, or had children in the home where it is at. It seems most arrested for meth get probation and a fine, can enroll in a rehab program, etc and get off pretty easy."

ANSWER: Meth or cocaine or whatever other hardcore street drug-- if a functional member of society, a taxpayer who has a job, gets busted for it for PERSONAL USE, not "with intent to distribute" or anything like that, probation and rehab is the norm.

Somebody who's been through the criminal justice system a bunch of times can go to prison for simple possession, but it's not common either. But that's not the normal kind of defendant prosecutors see. Most drug defendants are also burglars and thieves who steal to support their habit, and have at least a bunch of arrests (if not all convictions) to show their willingness to commit other crimes to get, or while influenced by, drugs. THOSE people are a lot more likely to get prison time.

Are people who get busted for meth getting significantly lighter sentences than people busted for similar quantities of heroin, cocaine, ecstacy, etc? I don't know, but it would be an interesting topic to research.
And even THOSE people are not guaranteed to serve much/any time. The first time I attended revocation hearings (I was an intern) it was crazy how many opportunities people were given after reoffending.

I am pretty sure he is still using something, but to my knowledge meth is not really available in the small town we live in. However, Crack is and thats why I figure he will go to it. He's not been close enough of a friend in several years to have around the family, so I'm not excluding him based on the drug use. I know he stOle from his cousin, so that's one reason he's not allowed at the house.

I don't believe he wants to quit, I just think he's trying to get away from the arrest and that court date this month. I have a feeling he moved back to say he's quitting to get some help from his father for upcoming fees associated with the arrest.

Meth is available everywhere. Especially small towns. It is a scourge on society.

Thankful that my brother is one of those 7%. He turned his life around, has a wife, two kids and a business in Canada. He has been clean for over 8 years. That change started with his arrest and spending a month in jail. My parents took him in and kept him on a short leash for a while. He had to hit rock bottom, as I think most people do. Not sure if he still goes to AA, but did for a long time and was helped much by it.
That is great. There are some people that DO turn there lives around. Some people have a much lower "rock bottom" than others. Some don't seem to have one.

I am pretty sure he is still using something, but to my knowledge meth is not really available in the small town we live in.

Actually, meth is usually far more available in rural areas than other 'fancier' drugs are. It's like moonshine... it's not hard to make but it needs privacy. The smell of a meth lab is powerful, and cooking meth ins't something you can do in most urban areas.

While a lot of meth comes in from Mexico these days, a lot of it is still 'made in the USA' in rural locations where neighbors won't notice the reek of powerful solvents and chemicals.

That doesn't mean your local dealer has access to local meth, but I'd be surprised if someone who could get him coke doesn't have a supply of meth available.

you cannot reason with any idiot that's on crank. I had an employee that was a really good worker, seemed a good guy. After about two months, he went kinda nuts; asking for advances, saying he needed $$ for **** I knew was a lie.

First of all, I will say I'm a supporter of legalizing marijuana. I understand we can debate that in itself all day, but I'd really like to talk about meth use. I have never done any drugs, and I don't consider marijuana a drug.

I recently found out a good friend of mine was hooked on meth, and got arrested for it. I knew that when we were younger, 18 or 19, that he got hooked on coke, but he went to rehab and had no issues after that I knew of. Well, it turns out he was never better after rehab, he just got better about hiding it. He went from coke to meth several years ago, started snorting the meth. I can definitely tell a difference in his personality, and mannerisms. I work in a correctional setting so I'm use to drug users and their quirks. It just blows my mind how he can justify using meth to himself. His justification was that he has two kids, and the meth allows him to do two days work in one day. It wound up costing him his wife, and his two children. He was busted up in Dahlonega(I think i spelled that right) about two to three weeks ago with two eight balls of meth. That's 1/4 of an ounce for those of you not fluent in drug lingo.

Heres my question, why does it seem like the laws for meth use and possession are not that strict? Basically, the only way you go straight to jail and stay there is if you were caught cooking it, or had children in the home where it is at. It seems most arrested for meth get probation and a fine, can enroll in a rehab program, etc and get off pretty easy. I do understand the need for rehab programs, and I can understand some what of a lesser sentence the first time being caught if a rehab program is completed.

I guess I'm just curious about opinions of others, and if you have had any personal experience knowing anyone going through this process. Any LEO's, please chime in on this, I know you have seen tons of these cases. This person is not allowed at my home or around my children. I still believe he will use, even though he is down here where I live at and not around alot of meth. I fear he will resort to smoking crack to support his geeked up addictions.
Two eight balls and didn't go to jail. Es not telling you the whole story...

Meth is a horrible drug but I do not believe it or any other substance should be illegal.

I changed my point of view when a wise retired homicide detective informed me all drugs should be legal and free. A 1-800 number to call and deliver them.

It's their choice and no law will prevent them from doing drugs.

After working a case where a single working mother of two, going to school, a few credits shy of her college degree was executed in a convenience store robbery for the cash in the register by a drug addict needing more drugs he changed his opinion too.

Give them all the drugs they want and when the stink gets thick, then send the meat wagon to pick them up.

No, I don't think "it's their choice" to drop out of society and become a burden on the rest of us. Somebody's gotta feed, house, and clothe the drug addicts who won't work or can't hold a job because of drug use.

If society IS going to support them, I'd rather do it under prison work-camp conditions where they can't slack off during the day and will put in a full day's work for their nightly drug of choice. Let 'em dig ditches, break rocks, chop fire wood-- whatever.

Call it slavery. They're already slaves to their addiction. When they can't support and provide for themselves, they can be slaves for government or industry, too.

Back
Top Bottom