• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Meth Users

This is one of the saddest and most destructive afflictions in our society; and has been for decades!
Its an affliction that is compounded(not eliminated) by its prohibition; prohibition simply promotes crime associated with its supply and acquisition.

The absolute champion of drugs abused is Alcohol. All the others mimic its abuse pattern: No one gets off it unless THEY want to! Usually, they have to "hit rock bottom" before they realize that ... most never, ever recover from it .. it "literally" kills them. and destroys their friends and family along the way!

Controlled distribution and taxation would go a long way in controlling destructive drug afflictions; providing necessary dollars for treating "the treatable". We must realize that there are many who will never ever recover, and should be allowed to exit this veil of tears in a humane manner (using the drug(s) of their choice). Hate this you may (as I do), but shoveling sand against the tide has never worked!

I close with a prayer for those family member who have a loved one hooked on a substance that is destroying them!

First of all, I will say I'm a supporter of legalizing marijuana. I understand we can debate that in itself all day, but I'd really like to talk about meth use. I have never done any drugs, and I don't consider marijuana a drug.

I recently found out a good friend of mine was hooked on meth, and got arrested for it. I knew that when we were younger, 18 or 19, that he got hooked on coke, but he went to rehab and had no issues after that I knew of. Well, it turns out he was never better after rehab, he just got better about hiding it. He went from coke to meth several years ago, started snorting the meth. I can definitely tell a difference in his personality, and mannerisms. I work in a correctional setting so I'm use to drug users and their quirks. It just blows my mind how he can justify using meth to himself. His justification was that he has two kids, and the meth allows him to do two days work in one day. It wound up costing him his wife, and his two children. He was busted up in Dahlonega(I think i spelled that right) about two to three weeks ago with two eight balls of meth. That's 1/4 of an ounce for those of you not fluent in drug lingo.

Heres my question, why does it seem like the laws for meth use and possession are not that strict? Basically, the only way you go straight to jail and stay there is if you were caught cooking it, or had children in the home where it is at. It seems most arrested for meth get probation and a fine, can enroll in a rehab program, etc and get off pretty easy. I do understand the need for rehab programs, and I can understand some what of a lesser sentence the first time being caught if a rehab program is completed.

I guess I'm just curious about opinions of others, and if you have had any personal experience knowing anyone going through this process. Any LEO's, please chime in on this, I know you have seen tons of these cases. This person is not allowed at my home or around my children. I still believe he will use, even though he is down here where I live at and not around alot of meth. I fear he will resort to smoking crack to support his geeked up addictions.
Your buddy is on a tough one and if he's still rationalizing, then he's not ready to quit. I have not known one person who was able to quit. Some are in prison. One cousin is dead from it. His immediate family helped him with denial and may as well as bought it for him, because they supported in financially when he was blowing what little money he did have on drugs. Seems like you are on track to me. Keep in touch, but you must have limits to protect your family. Unfortunately junkies tend to mistake kindness for weakness and prey upon those who try to help. Then again, since you're in corrections, you know that already. Prayers for your buddy.

Personally, I think weed is on the same level as alcohol, and we waste immense amounts of time and money messing with it, it's not going away, regardless. A gateway drug, possibly, but not inevitably.

Just like the indiscriminate violence we all see and read about, while certain parts of society accept, or even condone, that kind of behavior, it's going to be up to the individual to make choices. Sadly, far to many make the wrong ones.

From what is being posted ... we all agree that drug abuse is a problem, and that decriminalization will not change the pattern.
However, it will provide (tax) funds for treating it. I wish I could propose something else, but we've tried everything, and nothing works!

We have tried blaming "inanimate objects" with criminal acts and found that (surprise) "it doesn't work"! Guns do not kill people ... and Drugs don't either: People Kill People ... and the (unfortunate) truth is that some of our loved ones are ...hell-bent on killing themselves!

Single parent families don't help either, I know many will castigate me for for saying it, but I believe they're a major contribution to a lot of problems in society.

As for drugs, legalize them all and let God sort them out.

Single parent families don't help either, I know many will castigate for for saying it, but I believe they're a major contribution to a lot of problems in society.

As for drugs, legalize them all and let God sort them out.

The destruction of the family is the fundamental, underlying cause of our societies problems today ... Rome fell after a thousand years ,,, because it's family values failed!

Back
Top Bottom